Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound dropping to SR, is it supposed to be so QUIET (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound dropping to SR, is it supposed to be so QUIET
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a few digital readers in the past with problems. When they dropped out of digital into SR, there was a large difference in sound volume. Is this the way its supposed to be? I could have sworn I was at a theater where the sound dropped to SR, all you heard was a pop... but now, the sound really drops. We have Dolby CP650's and DTS 6AD for our digital readers. Is there a way to boost the SR sound so its at least LESS noticable if it ever drops again? I'd like to prevent us from handing out passes in future.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-13-2005 10:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the limited selection of theatres around here, when SR-D drops to SR, the digital and analog levels seem to match very well. Sometimes (depending on what's going on in the sound mix) a slight "tick" in the sound is the only real clue to the dropout.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-13-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your Dolby Calibrate levels probably need to be set up, should be checked twice yearly. When they are set correctly there is no real noticable difference between digital and analog. Somnetimes the analog track can actually sound better than the digital track!!

MArk

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
Are these the same projectors that are less than 1 year old?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, these are about 5 years old. We dont have any currently that are dropping out, but it was just a question I thought I'd ask. A few weeks ago we had a drop out problem and the sound got so low it was hard to even hear voices and the surround speakers dont seem to work...OR their SO low we cant hear them. This is a dramatic difference in sound.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 01:14 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your analog sound provided by excitor lamps or LED's? If excitors when was the last time the bulbs were changed? If LED's perhaps the voltage needs adjusting.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 01:23 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt think brightness would have anything to do with volume.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 02:28 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
As Mark said earlier, your Dolby levels should be checked. Also, make sure all of the optics are clean. Too many times I have walked into a theater and just cleaned a cell or lens and the sound is "magically" better!
Rick

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-14-2005 02:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, time for the one month "oil change" - as I call it when I do Dolby Tones to set levels. Levels actually have to be checked quite frequently since they love to drift.

-Monte

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 02:41 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,
I wonder if this step is being overlooked or done less frequently, since most new plexes have SRD and DTS?

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2005 08:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many places calibration only happens once a year or thereabouts. With the average reverse scam system you start to see a pretty big difference after about 6 months, the one exception is BACP readers in which the LED does not fade as fast. The other thing to check is to see if the installing tech set the gains in the processor all the way up and then adjusted the power supply down to make dolby level... this greeatly peolongs LED life span. And are the LED's switched on and off or are they on all the time? On & Off = alot longer life while always on = short life.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 07:32 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid thay adjust levels is a bit beyond me right now. I want to learn, but am finding no time. The LEDS are on when the projectors are on all day. At the end of the night, of course everything gets shut down.

So, not totally understand levels etc, is the problem with the SRD levels being to high, or the SR levels being to low. Assuming they are somewhat easy to adjust, can it be done in the menu display, or is test film and other components necessary. Eiter way it sounds like I'll have to call a tech, but I'm curious how difficult or how screwed up I could make this if I attempted it on my own with nothing more than the manual and some test film [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like as long as the booth is powered they are on. This is not a good way to have them hooked up. A simple relay across the motor to switch them on and off or interface with the exciter circuit is allthats needed. LED's hooked up this way will last towards 10 years, about half that when running continously. I find myself replacing alot of LEDs lately because most of the scanners that went in (before I was working in this area) as retrofits are always powered up. I always change that over so its switched as I make the rounds and I believe that I have most of them chenged over now. The only exception to that rule is BACP. But they too can also be switched if desired.... there's no arguement for extending LED life! Who ever installed your stuff ought to come back at N/C and make those LED hookups right!

You will need a loop of Dolby Tone in order to calibrate your 650's... I guarantee you its not the SRD level thats off because its fixed, its the SR level that has dropped due to LED fading. I reccomend that you read carefully through the manual and get a feel for whats involved before you attempt it...although thats the easiest adjustment in a booth I don't know how far you've carried your technical abilities!

Hope this helps,

Mark

[ 08-14-2005, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it helps...I really appreciate your time (and everyones) time in assisting me.

By the way thats an interesting quote...not sure what thread you got it from: quote:

The audience doesn't know what his diet was during the previous 30 days nor what his normal exercise was.

[Confused]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2005 11:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was just Redifer messing around......

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: