Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » All our change-overs going to hell. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: All our change-overs going to hell.
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 07:07 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 out of 7 of our change overs still functions correctly. The problem is, they dont open when the cue goes through the cue detector. I have re-cued the current films on the projectors being VERY careful to place the cues where they need to be. I can only blame the automation or changeover itself. We are using the Strong G7927 changeover with MIT M4A automation. Most of the time when I start the units, I dont hear a buzz from changeover, so it doesnt seem like it even WANTS to open. One one projector, I heard a buzz like it was trying to open up, but couldnt. Whats going on here?? These are roughly 1 year old...I checked the wiring...all wiring is attached and run correctly. I opened one of the changeovers to make sure the springs werent too tight..they arent. The switches will open and close the changeover fine. When the film is over, the changeovers all close properly...its just opening that seems to be the problem. Anyone hear of this? All of em going to hell like this?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-13-2005 09:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Who ever spec'd and installed your booth should be shot! I don't think I've heard of a booth with relatively new equipment that has as much trouble as you do with your stuff.....

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You get the gun, I'll get the bullets and we can hunt him down together. Can this really be installation though? Sounds more like a mechanical problem.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-13-2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really referring to the boat load of crappy equipment that you were sold. Poor installation can also take its toll on new equpment as well.

Its hard to say exactly what is wrong without being there but it could be either an automation or a C/O problem.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
Take the top cover off of the changeover and check the allen screws that are holding the linkage in place. I have had problems before on newer equipment where these have loosened considerably and causes things to bind up.
Rick

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 12:27 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that....the only thing is, it doesnt sound like its even TRYING to open. No buzz, no click...no sound at all. Sounds electrical to me.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 02:38 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry,
I just reread your post and saw that the manual switches work it just fine. Does the changeover open function really take a cue? I would think this is from the start button. I am not familiar with the MIT automation.

If they work with the manual switches, then it is a problem with your automation systems, not mechanical or electrical on the changeover end.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where Strong went wrong building their C/O but this doesn't happen to Kelmars.....

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the changeover doesnt open until the first que goes through. Otherwise it would open immediately...correct?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2005 04:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you are running in "Intermission mode", or possibly some sort of "Interlock mode" and not "Normal mode"... if this automation even has that capability..... Most automation will open the dowser after 7 seconds or a preset time or a time that would be adjusted in the supervisory mode of an all digital type automation.

Just took a look at the manual and it does require a cue to open the C/O...... This is definately cheap stuff, actually sorta says that in the manual! We should go back to my 1st post of who on earth spec'd in this stuff to begin with and so on and so forth....... I'll bring the bullets [Eek!] .

Mark

Heath Dutton
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Heath Dutton   Email Heath Dutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I've noticed about these changeovers is that the clevis pin that holds the two seluloid shafts to the actuator shaft will often break.
Worse, some times the dangly part of the clip will rub against one of the wires each time the changeover opens/closes. This will eventually cause one of the wires to be eaten through till the circuit grounds itself out. I've had this happen on two of the changeovers, and it isn't pretty. At first it seems like they aren't working propperly, but then sooner or later it will shoot sparks at you.

BUT, if you say you don't hear any buzzing at all, and you have looked under the lid and see nothing amiss, then I would do as the good man just mentioned and check that you aren't in intermission, or interlock mode. Double check all the automation programs.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there isnt a preset time before the changeover opens, its definately que activated. I have opened the changeovers and looked at the wiring to make sure nothing has come loose or been cut, all is well there. I would normally blame the que detector for something like this, but our first que also dims the house lights...so if its dimming the house lights, the que is being read just fine. Its gotta be automation or the changeover itself. Would voltage have anything to do with it? I know the changeover needs a certain amount of juice to open up....does it take less voltage to close? Because, as I said, they all close at the end of the show just fine.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Heath Dutton
One thing I've noticed about these changeovers is that the clevis pin that holds the two seluloid shafts to the actuator shaft will often break.

Seems to only happen on the Strong version...... I don't see this happenning on the Kelmars.....

quote: Frank Dubrois
Its gotta be automation or the changeover itself. Would voltage have anything to do with it?
If the C/O works from the manual switch then the C/O is ok and getting the correct voltage. There is a relay(K-10) across the C/O switch for the open pulse that is run by the automation. Be sure that this relay is being pulsed when the cue is read. If it is being pulsed at the start cue then the relay contacts, or pcb trace itself may have failed..... You can swap the close(K-11) and open(K-10) relays around to confirm if its the relay or not..... Beyond that you need to call a COMPETANT tech in to have a look.

BTW: If you have to hold the manual open button down for more that 1-2 seconds to open the C/O then there may also be C/O problem...... This C/O should snap open with a good 1 second pulse.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2005 10:02 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They definately open within a second of hitting the swutch. I will try the relay trick tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
1 out of 7 of our change overs still functions correctly
I have a hard time believing 6 relays failing in a year, but I guess anything is possible [Smile]

We have ruled out the C/O being the problem, so it sounds like a call to MiT is the next step. I would think those guys would be willing to help you troubleshoot. Or, as Mark says, get a competant tech there to fix it!

If it is a design flaw, they probably need to know about it. If it is operator error, they will probably shoot you instead of the tech [Big Grin]

Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: