Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 levels increase suddenly

Author Topic: CP500 levels increase suddenly
Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a CP500 which in the middle of a show will suddenly go loud. The volume control display remains the same but the bargraph shows the corresponding increase in levels. This conditions remains for maybe 5 or ten minutes and then the processor will return to normal.

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 07:48 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this happen on one print or more prints? And does this happen at a specific part of the show or just randomly?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 08:09 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the actual output level changes (as in it gets louder in the theatre) then I wouldn't pay it too much heed. Those bargraphs on the CP500 are flaky to say the least.

Try leaving it with no input signal of any kind, watch for long enough you'll see the bargraphs flick up and down when there is no output at all, usually the subwoofer mostly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2005 08:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex,

I would have your(dolby capable) tech upgrade your 500's O.S. software to 1.65 asap. With 1.65 I've never noticed any flaky bar graphs or any other anolomies at all. Its also VERY stable and the 500 won't dump is settings.

Mark

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 03:10 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happened a lot of time before conditioning my booth. Ecxessive heat make the Cp500 increase volume, and it was impossible to lower it.

Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 06:43 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well where could I download the 1.65 OS? BTW the loudness occurence is random and not related to any one particular print.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 11:30 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a CP500 do this at Lakeville. Is this problem occurring in all formats, digital included, or just with analog?

The LED/Exciter P.S. may be to blame, or perhaps the preamp card in the 500, if the problem only exists in analog.

Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The processor is CP500D, capable of playing Dolby Digital, and yes the output levels actually increase.
The Dolby rep says replacing the front panel will solve the problem, It also may not.Your views..

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-20-2005 07:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have him change it. If that is not the problem, then have him change it back at no charge. Louis

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2005 12:46 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
which CP500's software version have you on Dolby processor? Have you updated it as Mark said? and is your booth cool enough?

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2005 04:07 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a similar note, (previously I thought these were just
random glitches) both of our CP500Ds have had an instance
of "unexpected behaviour".

1. 14/6/2005 Sc4/CP500 the fader setting was spontaneously
changed to zero about 20 minutes from the end of a show of
"Mr And Mrs Smith". No-one was anywhere near the processor
at the time. Turning the fader back up to our usual level
sorted it out.

2. 30/8/2005 Sc3/CP500, digital sound playback ("Charlie
And The Chocolate Factory") failed and did not automatically
go to SR or bypass (result: mute sound). Re-set digital
processor board and digital playback restored Ok. I was in
the booth at the time, but wasn't directly looking at the
processor.

Both CP500s have version 1.65 firmware, our booth is air-
conditioned.

I'm not really looking for solutions or suggestions, unless
this is a known problem with an easy and cheap solution.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: