Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Take Up Problems with Christie AW3R

Author Topic: Take Up Problems with Christie AW3R
Richard Edward Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Richard Edward Wells III   Email Richard Edward Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been having a multitude of problems with the middle platter on one of my AW3R's. First, I had to replace the return arm spring, then I had to adjust the feed arm spring, I have calibrated it as well. But now, after a month of running fine, it is now having problems taking up. It will not pick up the right speed, and will let the tension drop, stopping the print. Even if spun by hand, it does not want to pick up the speed. I tried to calibrate it, but the only readings I get on the multimeter (when I have the feed arm set at 70 degrees) is 25-30 Mega Ohms. It is not the multimeter, the other platters read fine. And the feed out on the platter runs fine, what is going on??

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-07-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You never set the actual speed cards, did you?

Look in the TIPS section here for timing instructions.

Richard Edward Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Richard Edward Wells III   Email Richard Edward Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no no, I mean, even before I set the speed cards, the resistence is reading practically nothing.. but despite that I still set the cards, so the feed out is fine, but the take up is still having problems

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-07-2005 11:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, some troubleshooting here.

Try it without the brain (assuming removable). Does it work now?

If that doesn't make a difference, notch up the HI pot about 1-2RPM. With the payout arm at 100%, you must have at least 22 revolutions per minute.

Richard Edward Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2005 11:12 PM      Profile for Richard Edward Wells III   Email Richard Edward Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it seems to be running inconsistently... it runs at a normal speed, and then seems to have a short pulse of bursts, even when it is consistently at 100%, and when it takes up, it runs back and forth and if it doesn't drop the tension, it gets awfully close to it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2005 12:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you have a sensor heading to the sunset. Have you swapped out sensors between decks?

When sensors start to fail irratic readings are usually the norm...

been there and done that.

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2005 01:42 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
When sensors start to fail irratic readings are usually the norm...
You aint lyin' brother.
Our #6 middle deck was doing this a couple weeks ago. Perfect for a couple shows and then major oscilation in speed on takeup.
Swapping out the LED/Sensor unit did it.
If you have been tampering with the LED intensity however trying to get the deck up to speed you'll probably have to trim it back since a new one will be much stronger.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2005 04:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...ah, the fun things that you have to do with CHR AW3(R)'s.

Yep, with new sensors - a new, complete timing request in order here.

Serviced one 3plex with all sorts of goofy issues - turned out that I had to order 5 sensors to get this place back online. The main operator there was pulling his hair out with his "daily" timing procedures to quell the problem since he always thought that the sensors were bulletproof.

Guess he wasn't trained just right with CHR equipment.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2005 06:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHR = Christie

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: