Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Panastereo Now 100% Owned By Smart

Author Topic: Panastereo Now 100% Owned By Smart
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2005 03:52 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G'day All,
I have heard a rumour that Smart now have 100% control of Panastereo and that the Austrlian part of the operation is closing and moving everything to the U.S.Have any of you guys heard anything about this in the U.S and that Ray Derrick is moving to the U.S?
I did know that Smart had a Stake in Panastereo.

Cheers [beer]
Steve

|  IP: Logged

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2005 04:48 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an advertisiment regarding the liqidation of Panalogic, with a photo of the Sydney premises. I dont have any other information, but I would be a bit concerned if we lose this company, with its excellent equipment and after-sales service. Perhaps if Ray Derrick is reading he might like to let us know what's happening.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2005 06:00 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope we are not loosing this great company! [Frown]
Who will distribute Film-Gaurd in Australia if they do?!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-03-2005 06:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this one is pretty well confirmed. If you go to the Panastereo site in the US (Smart Devices), it actually has a posting that confirms the sale of the company and it announces that Ray Derrick is going to be designing products for both SMART and Panastereo.

It does not say Ray is moving to the USA. He can certainly design products away from where they are being made. I could see him either moving or traveling to the USA periodically.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-03-2005 08:38 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panastereo will retain a repair and stock center in Sydney. Smart has owned 43% of the company for the past eight years and in June purchased the remainder. I mentioned this a few days ago on "Film Yak" posting regarding Oscar at Smart. Ray will relocate later in the year to the USA, not sure if permanent or on a shuttle type of arrangement. His daughter is getting married so that is what is occupying his mind at the moment [Wink] Norm Schneider and Ray Derrick will make a strong team in developing future products. You can see details at www.smartdev.com

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-03-2005 11:06 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
See this thread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: