Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help needed understanding lens specs.

Author Topic: Help needed understanding lens specs.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it confusing trying to figure out what lens will give me what picture size. The Isco calculator is confusing and I also bought a slide rule ICECO and thats just as confusing.

Some lens are marked in " while others in MM.

Is there a general formula that works with all lens and easy to use.

Thanks!!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-01-2005 02:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the focal length of the lens can be expressed in either inchs or millimetres

historically imperial lens sizes were made in 1/4" inch increments and metric sizes were in 5mm increments nowday all sizes are made

the slide rule is very straight forwar
set the throw first
set the image size you want usualy the arrow on top is image heigth with the various formats widths below
Then red off the lens size for the format in question (on most that is expressed as apperture heigth)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-01-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use the Bell Cinema lens calculator, its VERY easy to use compared to the ISCO and Schneider software suites.

You can get it right here at Film-Tech!!

-Aaron

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For flat prints:

75mm equals 2.95 inches (approx. a traditional 3" lens)
100mm equals 3.94 inches (approx. a traditional 4")
125mm equals 4.94 inches (approx. a traditional 5")
150mm equals 5.91 inches (approx. a traditional 6")

A full mm to inches conversion chart is available in the downloadable www.iceco.com catalog.

Ed

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-01-2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 inch = 25.4mm.....not that hard [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-01-2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ed said
quote:
For flat prints:
Conversion applies to any lens not format specific

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2005 09:03 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron

Thanks for the calc. Perfect.

Gordon

With your instructions I was also able to figure out the slide rule and compared the results with the Bell Cinema lens calculator to confirm I was correct.

Richard thanks for the conversion.

Thanks everyone Im all set [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: