Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS sound switch to ambient music during film

Author Topic: DTS sound switch to ambient music during film
Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2005 09:02 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight when I was cleaning out a theatre with the credits running, I noticed the credits were running but the music had switched from DTS to the ambient music. Before I could let the projectionist know, it switched back to DTS and then right back to ambient music. I notified the projectionist and he said everything looked good on the processor. He also told me that about a year ago he had a friend tell him that they were in to watch a movie and the sound had gone out and come back in.
Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2005 10:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It would help to know the model number of your dts player.

If this happened in the last 60 seconds of the movie, then there is a good explanation. Your reader lost good timecode and the units are programmed to assume that the movie is over if it is in the last minute of the credits.

Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2005 10:42 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has happened twice now that we know of for the film Stealth. It is about 45 seconds to a minute before the last cue which is set on the rating screen. It is the added "Final Closing" scene after the credits right before the rating screen. The processor is a DTS-6AD Cinema Processor.

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the LED voltage....according to DTS the 6AD needs as close to the 4volts as you can keep it.

Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran another film in that house today and it did not cut out. Has anyone else had a problem with the print of "Stealth" cutting out during the credits?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could also be an automation issue. Do you have proximity or contact cues? Very rarely in the past I've had film with excessive static buildup cause the automation to pulse the sound processor to switch to non-sync.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 01:52 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well low and behold , I was looking through the archives for DTS faults as I am having a problem with a DTS 6ad switching to and from digital to nonsync several time , mainly during closing credits , and this first happened during a screening of Stealth, so
Tony , yes I have the same issue.

If i remove the discs it stays on SR during closing credits and does not move , it is only on digital sound setting this happens.

Again it happened during the closing credits of Sky High , I reprogrammed the panalogic to switch over to SR at the start of the closing credits. After switching to Nonsync during the credits , the unit starts to switch back and forth from digital to nonsync al by itself. I almost seems like the digital input is taking control over all inputs when discs are in drives.
[Confused]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-18-2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mainly during the credits or only during the credits?

If it's only during the (last 60 seconds of the) credits than I'd suggest that your timecode reader needs its gain re-calibrated, since it's probably losing timecode and assuming the show is over and then switching back when it starts reading timecode again.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 02:18 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this seems to start happening during the last 2 to 3 minutes of the credits.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: