Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changing Ways (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Changing Ways
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2005 02:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I try my best to do what I can to not "suck". I didn't know any different than what I had been taught. I use to never put a "Tail Tag" on as my first theatre placed the title and sound formats on a white board with the show times on the lamp house console. So, no tape was put on the tail except for what the distributor put on.

No I don't have an abundance of "Clear Leader" to add to my prints, all though I have been Accumulating a lot of it from the ETS prints. Unlike Technicolor, they tend to leave large amounts of Clear leader on the heads and tails of their prints. That's how I've made most of my tail wraps.

Placing leader at the end of the movie to me seems like it would be pointless, unless you are looking to not scratch the tail of the print or you are interlocking. You still have to pick it up from the floor, and it still wraps against the print when on the platter, there for transferring the dirt and oil collected to the previous wrap of the print, and so on so forth. I can see that would work if you were replacing the tail leader every show, but that would be tedious.

I do not consider myself to be a professional nor can i say my booths are perfect, although I strive to be as professional in every aspect. Meaning, I was taught to do something one way. If it was incorrect, or there was a better way to execute that task, I'd adapt, like threading bottom to top.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2005 03:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the whole point of adding at least 25 feet of tail leader. Do more if you think your booth needs it. The extra tail leader does not need to be replaced all the time like you think it does (try before you claim something), unless you are running the film for a really long time. Still, extra trailers are free. Throw 50 feet on the end and forget about it.

Any way you slice it, if there is a mark on the print right up to the last frame of the blue rating band, you aren't doing your job well. (Even if you are theater that doesn't project the rating band, that's still part of the movie.)

Remember the reverse is also true. If you are using a short threading leader (for example, 35 feet worth), your first preview almost certainly has dirt and marks on it for the first 30 seconds to a minute even with good threading practices (worse if you are a sloppy threader that lets the leader hit the floor). What's the fix? Extra head leader. It's not hard, you just have to care enough about your presentation to do it. [Wink]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-31-2005 06:53 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here again I endorse the new Sharpie Silver Metalic marking pens for writing on film. The results are markings that are highly reflective and are clearly visible on the film, no matter if it is clear leader, black leader or even junk trailer film with images. It works on that red or green painted leader stuff. For use on that last 25ft of added leader, no matter what it is, it will show up perfectly.

I used to put artist tape on every head and tail so I could write on it with Black or Blue Sharpie, red on the tails. The tape was necessary for any Sharpie pen to be clearly visible, especially on black leader. But now with this new silver metalic stuff, I no longer put any tape on the leaders; I just write with the silver and the lettering contrasts with whatever film you've written on. Putting title, sound and picture format information takes half the time than it did with tape first then marking.

Get yourself a couple of these pens and you will never use anything else.

And, best of all -- it comes off with one single swipe of a cloth with a little FG or Ecco 1500 on it. For those who MUST mark reel joints, this is the stuff because it comes off so easily. If you accidently get any in the picture or sound area, it comes off easier than anything else you've ever used, even grease pencil.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good practice, especially if you have short leaders:
If you thread it, play it. Never leave a film threaded over night with the first trailer just hanging in the air collecting dust.

Our basic policies:
-Leader stays off the floor.
-Threading goes bottom to top.
-Splices are clear tape only.
-Reel ends are cut to overlap slightly at the reel join.
-Tail tags contain title, print #, sound formats, and picture format.
-Film doesn't go on the floor no matter what it is. The "oh it's just rolling stock" turns into "oh it's just a preview" and so on.
-Picture formats change only once everyone is out of the theater and an RP40 loop is used to verify the settings.
-Splices are peeled, not broken.
-Filmguard is run on all new prints first week and in weeks and when necessary is rotated around the old prints for a week.
-Cues are cut small as possible and placed with intelligence to minimize visibillity.

I can't think of anything else relating to actual film handling though there's more.
Hope it helps.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 12:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
What's the fix? Extra head leader. It's not hard, you just have to care enough about your presentation to do it.
This is true, but when everyone at your theatre say make the leader shorter cause I have to advance through all of it before threading, it's harder. I'm the only one that uses the manual douser to open a show. Everyone else uses it until they hit the start button and lets the auto douser open the show.

Here's everything that I've changed about my operation habits. I was taught to thread to the roller above the projector unit, and let it drop on the floor. Now I'm threading to the platter, advanceing to the beginning of the threading leader and threading bottem up. (Easy with AW3s and Projectors without doors and slits for film like Century) Always pick up my tails and wiping the tail between two fingers. Extra head leader on all my leaders (cept when asked by management to shorten). Clear tape only on all splices, although on ETS prints cause it's not guarenteed I will break those down and other complain cause they can't see (I know, you're not suppose to see the splice. If you can, your audiance can). I know there's more that I've changed from what I was trained, but it's escaping me right now.

My orginal question still hasn't been Answered. What's the reason for a tail tag other than to know what print you are threading when prints are doubled up?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-01-2005 02:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Dieter
I'm the only one that uses the manual douser to open a show. Everyone else uses it until they hit the start button and lets the auto douser open the show.
I'm confused as to why you seem to think that using a manual hand douser somehow makes for a better presentation???

quote: Thomas Dieter
My orginal question still hasn't been Answered. What's the reason for a tail tag other than to know what print you are threading when prints are doubled up?
You never know if someone moved prints around the day before and failed to leave you a note. Labeling the prints takes the confusion out of it.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-01-2005 02:12 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generous head leader makes good sense. Being a drive-in, dust is always a problem. We have probably 30 or 40 feet of old trailer film ahead of our mylar countdown leaders. After threading, we hit the start on our automations. the film advances to a cue on the mylar leader, then coasts to a stop very near where we want it to be when the start sequence begins. This addresses the advance leader issue, as well as giving us plenty of time to verify proper operation before the show starts.

As Brad says, tag leader (plenty of old trailer film) keeps the feature clean right up through the very end of the print, whether you project it or not.

All that, plus the FG process, and our prints look great right up through the end of their runs.

Charles Phillips
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Charles Phillips   Email Charles Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not have a label? All of the information you need stays right with the print and on top, no shuffling or waste of paper.
Having the picture format labeled has always helped me when I'm changing out trailers/rolling stock or what lens I need to change to. Labeling the sound formats has helped me in making sure that the best sound format is in use.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 02:26 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Addressing the question of long leaders we use long leaders by threading and then just before hitting the "go" button we motor the leader through.
The projetor then has a rolling start and until we actually are starting the show the film isn't exposed to the air.
Good considering the habit should always be to thread up when it gets out.

I never actually use the tail tags (though I put them on every print) because I know what movie, picture format, and sound formats I'm dealing with by memory.
I usually use it for reference when I'm dealing with multiple prints and I intend to change trailers on one print only or break down a specific print, etc.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-01-2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-Reel ends are cut to overlap slightly at the reel join.

By this I take it you mean on new, uncut prints, correct? Surely you don't recut already spliced leaders, cutting off an additional frame to get an overlap, do you?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-01-2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't use trailer scraps (or any film with picture and track) for extra leader. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm afraid that it might confuse people, if not at the theatre that is showing the film, but possibly at the next house.

When I first started doing film work, I received a print that had a hundred feet or so of some random trailer spliced onto the last reel. At the time, I'd never worked with platters, and couldn't understand why anyone would do such a thing. In retrospect, I realize that someone was doing the right thing by adding extra tail leader, but it didn't make sense to me at the time.

In an automated platter house, there is also the possibility that the end-of-show cue might get missed or that the changeover might not close completely. In this case, I'd rather not subject the audience to random bits of another film. Admittedly, the possibility of this happening is rare in a theatre with good maintenance practices.

For these reasons, I prefer to use clear leader (which can be made by bleaching junk film) for heads and tails.

Regardless of whether a theatre runs reels or platters, adding extra leader is one of the best (and easiest) ways to improve presentation quality.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-01-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also leaders or scaps of film with DTS timecode can screwup a DTS player at startup

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-01-2005 05:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Surely you don't recut already spliced leaders, cutting off an additional frame to get an overlap, do you?
This depends on the print. I like to overlap splices slightly, as well. I'll cut off another frame to get that overlap under 2 conditions:

1. The existing ends don't butt together tightly, or

2. The existing ends have so much yellow tape glop on them that I can't get them clean without a lot of scraping and scrubbing.

I am paranoid about not overlapping the splices because I had a splice fold on me and clog up the projector once. Not pretty. It was a splice I had not made, but the print was one of those last-minute circuit things and I had no inspection time. The print ran 6 days with no problems, then on day 7 the splice buckled.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
For these reasons, I prefer to use clear leader (which can be made by bleaching junk film) for heads and tails.
I had been meaning to ask this question for a while. Can you actually do this, and if so, how much can you do at one time?

I just use Vandel Remover on my platters to clean off the rubber from the drive wheels, and was also curious if that would be okay?

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
Being a drive-in, dust is always a problem. We have probably 30 or 40 feet of old trailer film ahead of our mylar countdown leaders. After threading, we hit the start on our automations. the film advances to a cue on the mylar leader, then coasts to a stop
Jack, how do you prevent the lamp's from igniting during the rundown?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: