Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Video Automation Advice Requested

Author Topic: Video Automation Advice Requested
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-29-2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Sanyo PLC-XF40 video projector used for indie stuff and rentals for the last few years. Right now it sits on the balcony and runs off a dvd player in the booth. We've had a few rentals where they connected their laptops directly to the projector for powerpoint stuff.

I'd like to be able to integrate the video a little more smoothly into our setup, and be able to operate everything from the booth. I know there are "command units" that do this, but know nothing about them. Advice and suggestions welcome.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-29-2005 09:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The number of ways to impliment this sort of video system are just about endless. As such it is going to be near impossible to advise you just based on description.

Generally, video installations fall into two types of categories. One makes use of a scaler so that the video projector only uses 1-input. All sources that are not 5-wire analog are scaled up to the native resolution of the projector.

Prior to the scaler will need to be a switcher of some sort so you can select your source. Many scalers have switchers built in so you can kinda have it all in one box.

The other way has some form of switcher to select the sources and one must have the projector change inputs to match the type of video signal (composite, S, Component, VGA). This is often more complicated since you now have two things switching...the switcher and the projector. Some companies, like Extron with their Media Link systems, can have a single control switch the switcher and also control the projector.

If you really just have basic needs (only one source for any video type), the video projector can be the switcher as well. Many projectors will have separate audio inputs for each input so when you switch the source with the video projector it will feed you the approprite stereo signal.

At this moment in time...I almost always recommend the use of the scaler since it greatly simplifies the system and use. Take a look at the Extron System 7SC...it works well with 4:3 projectors and has most everything in one nice neat little package. It has 7 inputs and will even allow you to turn on your projector (and another couple of fucntions that the installer programs). You can even balance out all of your sources.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-30-2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: Thanks for the lead, I got a quick look and will study it further.

As to what I have and have in mind here's more detail in case anyone else would like to pitch in

The video projector has input for four sources with a multitude of input connections. Currently we use three cables for progressive scan. The cables run about 60ft from the balcony to the dvd player in the projection booth. The audio for the dvd runs directly into our Dolby Processor. As a stand alone system, it works fine. But if we want to change from film to video, it requires two people--one in the balcony to turn off the projector and another in the booth to switch the sound and start the film.

When someone comes in with a laptop and powerpoint, they sit in the balcony and connect their computer to the projector and we use one of the three cables as a sound cable (if needed)

An additional problem that can't be overcome is we had to have a special lens made for our throw, and the lens is too long to use the autozoom.

What I'd like to be able to do is control the projector from the booth. This would include off/on, format change and all of the things controlled by the buttons on the projector. The remote control will not work because of line of sight, etc. I think a video monitor in the booth would be a great help too, as trying to control the dvd and looking out the porthole window requires some contortions.
I have the ASCII codes for the projector and I imagine some sort of computer set up is going to be needed to make this all work as close to seemlesly as possible. Right now it would just be good to have a pre-show dvd (we're non-profit, so it won't be irratating commercials, etc) that we can easily fade out and turn off from the booth. Later, as we get more independent films and filmmakers bringing their stuff in a variety of formats, being able to set things up close to on the fly would be good.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-30-2005 04:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin...that problem is easy to fix...

You want one of these: CLT208CM

It is an 8-button remote that is hard wired via RS-232 and runs off a power supply. You can program the 8 buttons to work any way you want...they can toggle two functions, work as a group of functions (group say three buttons to act as your input selector), continiously spit out the same command so long as you press the button (like for focus or zoom)...etc.

It will fit tightly in a single utility box but it will be VERY snug...I suggest a duplex with some depth to it.

It is quite handy to control serial things with.

Another solution, also from Extron is to use one of their "IPL" boxes like IPL T S2

In this case you only need to run a simple Cat 5 cable down to the box and either connect a computer up directly or if you have a network, have your IP guy assign it an address and then from any computer on the network you can control the projector or read its status. Further, with the Extron Global View software (included) your projector can start emailing the appropriate person when a replacement lamp should be ordered/changed or set up regular times to clean the intake filters.

As for your inputs...all you really need to do is extend all of them back to the booth and create a set of jacks. 60-feet isn't too bad for most video (NTSC) quality using decent grade RG-59 cable. For your computer/powerpoint stuff...going beyond 50-feet with XGA at 60Hz is going to get you into some smearing (not too bad at 60 feet but visibly inferior than it should be). If you run a higher grade cable, like RG-6 you would be fine at that distance. Remember too that the "VGA" connector is not a 75-Ohm connnector so there is a performance hit with it when running long tranmission lines.

If you want to run smaller guage wire like mini coax then plan on using a line extender with HF peaking. This really should be set up though with an appropriate test generator and Oscope...by eye almost never works since there is no frame of reference on most material. I was in a class where the instructor asked the techs (all of whom were experienced since this was an advanced class) to set the gain and peaking by eye and none got it right. Most everyone will set it too bright because brighter always looks better. However, doing that will cause the level to artifically be too bright and depending on content will crash the brigher images into the white levels.

If you set it right though, the image with a 3-foot cable or one that is over 200-feet will look the same.

Back to your projector...as to the zooming function you mentioned...are you trying to zoom the 4:3 picture so that when you run wide screen stuff it will put the black bars above an below the screen for a "wide screen" picture? If so, most zooms do not have that range unless you happen to fall in its sweet spot by luck of your throw, picture size and lens availability.

I have one theatre where the same projector/lens can be used in their screening room that is only 25 or so feet away and their main theatre that is a more conventional 75+ foot throw because the ratios just happened to work out and they can zoom their lens for 4:3 and 16:9 on both...life almost never works out that way.

If you are in the market for a new projector...nowadays there are 16:9 projectors that will fit your needs better. Zooming the lens is almost never the best choice since it also makes your pixels grow and your light tank. For instance, a Sanyo PLV-WF10 has 4000 lumens but is 16:9 native and has a resolution of 1366x768 so an XGA computer source will be a pixel for pixel map to 1024x768.

Just some things to consider.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-30-2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve:
Thanks. Now all I have to do is find the time to get it all done.

As for the zooming and focus, we have to do both manually because of the lens. Yes, I do zoom to fill the screen when necessary, the light loss isn't bad and the source material is usually so bad no one notices. Every indie filmmaker who has been here loved it. Today we've been moving back and forth from VHS to DVD and back and it all looks like junk because they are all "educational" documentaries (not my selection, this is a rental.) Ad we've had to bounce from 1:33, to 4:3 to 16:9 on the fly. If they'll sit through a VHS blown up to 14ft, they'll sit through anything.

As the state paid for the PLC-XF40, I don't think we'll be spending that kind of money on a video projector anytime soon;>

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-30-2005 07:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for focus and zoom being remotable...the lens is likely not "Custom" so much as was purchased from a company like Buhl. A genuine "Sanyo" lens will have the motors on it for zoom and focus. Buhl lenses can be okay but if you plan to zoom them after installation, they are not the best choice since they lack the motors. Buhl makes a set of lenses that they put various projector mounts on so one lens may fit many different manufacturers.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-30-2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it was a Buhl. The dealer we bought the projector from said they didn't have a standard one to meet our needs and sent us to Buhl. Just had to go with what I was told.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: