Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby SR cards

Author Topic: Dolby SR cards
Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 08:41 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some CP-55's I want to upgrade to SR. I have gone through the previous posts on the subject, and the general concensus is to either use the Panastereo SR adapter or something from Dolby itself.

Here is where I get confused. I am going to stay away from the 222 SR/A card that every seems to think sucks. What are the best options from Dolby? Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-27-2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has no "new" options at the moment. Their offering was the SRA-5 with a pair of Cat. 280T cards loaded.

Alternatives were the Ultra Stereo SRM-10 and the SMART SR1+...each of which would have had to have Dolby Cat. 280s loaded. Both of these units are now out of production as well.

The only new high-quality SR solution for the CP55 is the Panastereo SR35 adapter.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-27-2005 02:20 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is true that, relative to the cat 280t or cat 350, the cat222sr/a is not as good. However, I believe that, unless you have exceptional acoustics, amplifiers, bi-amped speakers, super tweaked reverse analog reader, etc, you are OK to go with the 222sr/a.

Dolby took a few liberties with that one, but, in all but the most impressive installs, it is just not that noticable on optical.

Film-tech is noted for taking the "high road." In this case it is a factory approved conversion, fully supported by Dolby and has been accomplished by thousands of cinemas; it is better than A.

Louis

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-27-2005 03:33 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Secondhand Dolby SRA5 units are readily available, and quite cheap, though the Cat. 280 cards are expensive. Is there any reason not to go this route if you have a 55 or 200?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The speakers are JBL, the system is bi-amped, the sound reader is the B.A.C.P. reverse scan, the amps are Smart. The aucostics are okay I guess, basic rectangle room, sound fold on the walls. Would I get hearable improvement from the 280 or 350?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
It is true that, relative to the cat 280t or cat 350, the cat222sr/a is not as good. However, I believe that, unless you have exceptional acoustics, amplifiers, bi-amped speakers, super tweaked reverse analog reader, etc, you are OK to go with the 222sr/a.

Louis,

Its not always easy to hear the 222's problems in general in an average film but if you make a comparison between a 222 and a pair of 280T's on even a decent system with a good analog mix and use the same reel of film for the comparison it hits you like a brick, most noticable is that its alot more edgy sounding and there other artifacts you will hear that are not too nice either.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
it is better than A.
Or should we say its A is better than its SR......

Actually the Panastereo is the best solution and by far the best sounding SR out there... yes, as good or better than the 280T's are. And may be less expensive than the 222 card is. I wouldn't hesitate to install the Panastereo unit. The Panastereo CSP{-1200 is by far the best sounding processor on the market today.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-27-2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issue is that the man has a CP=55 and he needs to add SR, I assume inexpensively. One reasonable solution is to just use the 222sr/a card. Granted there are many possible solutions, some better than others. I, too, can hear the difference, in absolute terms, between the sr/a card and the 289t/300/350 card.

He did not ask to purchase an entire new processor.

Louis

Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Actually the Panastereo is the best solution and by far the best sounding SR out there... yes, as good or better than the 280T's are. And may be less expensive than the 222 card is.
If you read again I didn't suggest he buy a whole new processor, just the Panastereo add on. We all know the CSP1200 costs ALOT more than a 222 SRA card! I merely mentioned that the Panastereo CSP-1200 processor was the best sounding unit available out there to vouch for its sound quality. He will be much further ahead going the Panastereo add on route. I will add that factory approved or not the 222 SRA sucks to a very large degree!

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-28-2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

The Cat 222SR/A while will provide some simbilance of SR noise reduction it tracks VERY poorly. One need not have a good system to hear how bad it truely is. In fact, my problems with the 222SR/A is customer driven. It really does sound bad and has no business having the "SR" name on it. It should have said what it is Double-S.

As to cost, the Cat. 222SR/A is not a cost effective solution for SR either. It lists for nearly $1,995.00 (more than two Cat. 280s).

Louis, in case you didn't know. The Panastereo SR35 costs less than the Cat. 222SR/A and installs just like the Dolby SRA-5. It is truely the best and most economical choice in 2005.

While there are many variables in an optical soundtrack nowadays...I prefer the Cat. 280 to all others, including the CM353 from what I've heard. I have Cat. 280s in some Panastereos and CM353 in others. One of these days, I'm going to experiment with one channel Cat. 280 and one CM353...if they are tracking properly...everything, including the 2:4 decoder should work just fine...if not, there is something amiss.

Also, I've found the differences in sound quality between the Pana and Dolby cards is more dramatic with optical, an inherently noisy medium, versus magnetic.

The above being said, I can't claim to have done the listening tests that I've done on the 222SR/A verus real SR...that was pretty damn conclusive by all listeners and very apparent.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-31-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: this won't work, so don't be mislead (see Steve G's post below)! Also, keep in mind that Dolby Cat. 280 cards (not T, so they must be modified by cutting the jumper) appear readily available on the used market. That means a Pana+280 solution might be quite cost-effective.

--jhawk

[ 07-31-2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-31-2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cat. 280s will NOT fit the SR-35. Though the CM353 uses essentially the same pin-out and a CSP1200 can accept the Cat 280s...the SR35 will not physically accept the Cat 280s nor have the 24V power rail. The CM333 and CM353 SR modules run on +/-15V rather than a single 24V rail. The CSP1200 has the +24 rail available as well for the Cat 280.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up finding a good deal on some used SRA-5's last week and bought them. It will be interesting to hear the differnce once I get them installed...

also, on the quotes I got from my supplier, the Panastereo Adapter was 150 bucks cheaper then the 222 sr/a card.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: