Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex Standard Vertical Shaft Removal

Author Topic: Simplex Standard Vertical Shaft Removal
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2005 06:08 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Simplex Standard stripped down for a rebuild and the last part I need to remove is the vertical shaft. How do I do this? There are 2 threaded rods that the upper bearing assy of the vertical shaft attaches too. By the looks of things I need to remove the threaded rods and then the bearing assy can be lifted off the shaft and the shaft can be removed. Is that correct? If so how do I remove the threaded rods?

This machine has BEVEL gears and the drive gear at the base of the shaft does not have set screws holding it, it has what looks to be just a pin.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-24-2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One must first loosen the spiral gear on the ertical shaft and lift the shaft out then the barcket should pull out

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-24-2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if the flyball governer for the fire shutter is still in there its set screw must also be loosened in order to pull the shaft up and out.... Then remove the bracket.

Some of the very early Standards were pinned and yes that pin must be carefully punched out as well. Photos posted would also help....
Mark

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have taken the top gear off the shaft. If the drive gear from the base of the shaft has to be removed, then I am pretty sure it will lift right out. I have removed the governer and loosed the set screw on the top of the assy. Anything to watch out for when removing the pin on the gear?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-24-2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
I wonder if you can lift up on the shaft enough to get it out of the main casting bore and then pull the bracket off the main casting with the shaft still in the brackets bore?????

Mark

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Sounds like you have an old straight cut double bevel gear. A G-13 if menory serves. It has a taper pin holding it on the vertical shaft. The pin has to be removed. Newer spiral gears used a collar assembly. You should be able to lift the vertical shaft all the way out the top. Do download the instruction and parts manual as you want to retain the proper spacers above and below the top bearing support when putting it back together.

Be very carfull to not bend the shaft when tapping or replacing the taper pin. We used to run a taper reamer through the gear and shaft to remove any burring before putting it back together. The upper bearing support you reference with the threaded screws fits on the main frame with dowel pins to keeo it from moving. When everything is removed that piece will have to come out past the dowel pins first before removing. Usually they are tight so be carefull. Best of luck.
Dick

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2005 10:59 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark I had tried to lift it up and was hoping it would clear the casting so I could slide the bracket foward. I do have the older style straight cut bevel gears in this head. I have 2 other heads with the spiral gears. I am about to go and do some more work on the projector this afternoon so I will get back with how I went! Thanks for all your help so far guys! [thumbsup]

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 04:08 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get that pin to move! On the machine I am trying to remove it from it has been ground flat against the top collar on the gear, while on another machine its a normal pin. Any idea on how to remove it? I don't have a drill press to drill it out, but could get access to one if its needed.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Be sure you are tapping from the small diameter side of the taper pin not the large end. Use a small punch. Sometimes you may have to drill it out being careful not to damage the taper.
Dick

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 03:42 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got the pin out! I did indeed to have to drill it out, I used a drill bit a little bit smaller then the pin and was then able to tap the pin out. Once out I could see why I was having trouble as the pin is not dead straight, the bore must not be perfect. Is there a better alertnative such as taping the hole and using a set screw when I reassemble it all?

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Glad you got it out. If it were me I would get a new taper pin and put it back the way it was. That vertical shaft is not very big so you can't use a large screw. My guess is the screw would eventualy snap.

You can always update to the G-87 spiral bevel gear but you must also update part of the intermediate gear and the shutter drive gear shaft. That uses a collar rather then the pin.

What does "not dead straight" mean?
Dick

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 10:53 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have other heads with spiral gear, but I kept this head as straight bevel because I have more spare gears if I need them this way. I will just fit a new taper pin, its not very often it needs to come apart this far. Its not dead straight mean the bore where the taper pin is has a very slight curve, as if it were not bored straight.

Where can I find information about how to rebuild intermittents? Are parts still avaliable for the double bearing movements? I have one which has been rebuilt but was never used which is going into this head. But for the exercise I would like to learn how to strip one of my spare movement down. I have a good single bearing movement but it has no oil sight glass, how do you know how much oil it has?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2005 07:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would leave the machine all straight bevel as its closer to what the Simplex originally was. You will need a taper pin reamer of the proper size and a new pin to re-assemble it.

Mark

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Simplex manuals state fill intermittent 1/2 full of Simplex oil. I know that doesn't help much but that is from the manual. Single bearing intermittents use a spaner wrench to take apart and adjust as well as taper pins for the sprocket and, if old, the flywheel. Almost all the parts are different from the double bearing version.

Lots of double bearing parts or used intermittents should be laying around both taper pin and updated 5/16 star with screw & nut sprocket. You shouldn't have any problems finding a clunker movement.

The instructions were written by F.H. Richardson. He wrote several books on projection "Handbook of Projection" which you can find on internet used book stores. He also wrote "Bluebook of Projection but that is newer than you want. Also James Cameron's "Motion Picture Projection". Worth looking into getting one in the 1915 to 1930 range. Have fun.
Dick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: