Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need To Know the Weight of Speaker (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need To Know the Weight of Speaker
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-20-2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does an Altec A4 with two multi cellular horns on top weigh?

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 06:34 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Bill,

Try this page for a start.

http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/images/VOTTCAT.1983.P3.jpg

http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/images/VOTTCAT.1983.P2.jpg

There is also an "unofficial" Altec page.

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/

I think you are looking at between 650 and 700 pounds depending on the horn(s).
KEN

[ 07-20-2005, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Kenneth Wuepper ]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 07:54 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill--

They are heavy! Enough to give you a hernia! [Smile]

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The A7 weights in at 170 lbs. I would think the A4 weight more.

Sam

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-20-2005 11:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the vintage of the speaker since they used different woods in the later years (older ones are heavier). Also the vintage of the multicell horn will affect weight.

An A4A can be anywhere from 623lbs to 656lbs depending on horn model and single or dual driver.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-20-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do i get a feeling someone is thinking of flying a trio of them
Hope you have a good arbor and lots of counterweight

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

The Fox in Detroit had their cinema speakers on a lift that rose from beneath the stage floor to expose the speakers and then lowered to make the stage floor level again. That was a lift like were used for organ consoles only much larger in scale.

Radio City Music Hall did fly their RCA speaker clusters for the cinema presentations. Huge speakers and a very strong grid.

KEN

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-20-2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At some point I seem to rembeber Radio City having dual A7's on each channel to save space in the fly loft. Pretty icky for a world class theatre.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-21-2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, you hit it on the head, but it was 17 years ago. We flew them in '88 for one show. The guy who rented the theatre for the event wanted all the space he could get. He did the work for getting them up. As you might imagine nobody was comfortable being directly below them. After it was over, we took 'em down and disconnected them from the batten. A couple years later we hung the silver screen from that batten. We were discussing the foolhardiness of the whole adventure a couple days ago and were wondering how much weight we had overhead.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2005 06:12 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

As I recall, the RCA clusters were 3 or 4 huge cabinets with large multi-cell treble horns on top. At least 6 or 8 15 inch drivers.

Doing Radio City with A7s is like making announcements in Yankee Stadium using Rudy Valle's megaphone. [Big Grin]

KEN

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-21-2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth

I agree it was absurd but the memory lingers. This was around 1980. Is your recollection before or after that?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-21-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, Warren Jenkins once told me that the stage shows required more fly space so smaller speakers were used he remembered it as 3 A7 base bins and a set of splayed horns per channel. At one point they experimented with a Klipsh speaker as well But then at that time they had ElectroSound Amps and a CP100/SA5 in the booth

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-21-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that Music Hall had 50 watts or less for P.A. until recent years because of really good acoustics. (Yes, I know how big it is.) Perhaps a small speaker was thought adequate.

Maybe also, it is that people are not as easy to please now.

Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-21-2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

If my memory serves...you have Simplex speakers don't you? Do you have actual A-4s? The Simplexs sat horizontal.

If they are Simplexes...then the LF section (LU-1106) weighs in at 550 lbs). The HF section can have one driver with the whole horn/driver/sled coming in at 76 lbs. If you have two drivers on the HF unit then it is 132 lbs.)

The systems were called the XL532-312 or XL536-312 or XL532-322 or XL536-322 depending on the HF horn (8, 10 or 15 cells) and drivers (1 or 2).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-21-2005 02:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve--do you remember what we had at Williamsburg before the recent upgrades? They were Simplex speakers as well, with Altec 288 horns on top and a single 515 driver inside.

I vaguely remember that the rigging guys who flew them said that they weighed about 500 lbs. I think that the rigging equipment was rated for 10-20x their actual weight.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: