Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Color temp of bulb and its effect on focus & sharpness?

Author Topic: Color temp of bulb and its effect on focus & sharpness?
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2005 11:27 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you guys can shed some light on this.

Im running a portable projector backed by a quartz halogen bulb. Plenty bright for my 8 foot wide scope image.
This bulb appears to provide a much whiter light then the 1000 watt incandescent bulb that came with the projector.

I also have a HIT bulb of same wattage but this bulb is very similar to xenon in character and requiers an ignitor and seperate power supply. The light from this bulb is very bright & very white, higher in color temp to the halogen. Has that WOW factor.

The HTI bulb yields a much sharper image with more detail then the halogen. Far more. Focus is also much easier on the eyes to achive and maintain verses the halogen which always appears softer even when perfect focused is achived.

Is the visual improvement in detail & sharpness caused by the color temp differences between the bulbs or is it from the HTI being brighter.

Another words if its because of brightness then would a brighter halogen yield the same result or is the color temp the reason for the visual improvement.

Thanks!!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-19-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a guess here...

The halogen lamp probably has a light source (filament) much bigger than than the almost point source (short arc?) of the HTI. The reflector was probably designed to take advantage of a point source. Any light eminating away from the expected point source (as a relatively large filament array will do) will not be focused correctly by the reflector. All those incorrectly focused light rays will play havoc with image focus at the aperture.

It's almost the same affect as having a lamphouse not properly aligned with the projection axis. In addition to illumination uniformity issues, there are picture focus issues when the lamphouse is not properly aligned to the projector.

I don't think color temperature has any affect this focus and sharpness issue.

Up to a point, more light is certainly better. Colors and contrast will look murky when too little light is used. Murky contrast can affect how people perceive image sharpness.

That's my guess anyway.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 10:22 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. That makes sense.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2005 09:54 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally a tungsten or tungsten halogen lamp (lamps with filaments) will emit much more infrared energy than an arc lamp having the equivalent light output. So more care is needed to manage heat issues:

Heat Damage Part 1

Heat Damage Part 2

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: