Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Blown Subwoofer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Blown Subwoofer
John A. Parker Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 09:43 AM      Profile for John A. Parker Jr.   Email John A. Parker Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope everyone is enjoying War of the Worlds. I did for the first four days until my sub got blown by the lo-frequencies they have put in this soundtrack. Had turned down the sub by three dbs when it went(that is half power for you non tech types). Have heard from another chain that some of his theatres are complaining about their sound. So check your subs, they might be blown. And yes brad, it was set up right. [Big Grin]

Equipment type are QSC MX 1500A amp in bridge for 1000 watts driving a JBL 4645c sub.There is no way this should have happened (1000 watt amp on a 1600 watt driver).

John A. Parker Jr.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2005 09:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well how big is the room
remember that it is possible that to get the sub setup to the correct level which is done referenced to the 50% mod point at full output you maybe over driving your sub
If the room is of any size I would normaly use multiple subs remember also that the digital sub requires 10db more headroom than for analogue

John A. Parker Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for John A. Parker Jr.   Email John A. Parker Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
30 feet wide by 65 feet long by 16 feet high.
239 seats, single screen 1933 box. Sub and Amp should have been more than enough to handle the theatre.
John A. Parker Jr.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are incorrect the 4645c is rated for 800watts and with a 99db 1watt/meter rateing I would have used 2 of them in that large of room

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John A. Parker Jr.
I hope everyone is enjoying War of the Worlds. I did for the first four days until my sub got blown by the lo-frequencies they have put in this soundtrack.
The soundtrack didn't blow your subwoofer, your system was not properly designed in the first place. I know VERY FEW auditoriums small enough to be properly serviced by one 18" sub, and yours absolutely requires more than one. Two would've probably been passable, three would've been a better choice.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 01:12 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget too that the soundtrack for this feature is louder than most.
I stand behind the correctness of Aaron's design and alignment of our auditoriums sound system and we currently run our SDDS at -1.0 for this feature and it's almost too loud there too.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2005 02:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't forget too that the soundtrack for this feature is louder than most."
That may be true but still not the root of the problem the system wasn't properly designed if it can not operate at the limits that the track can deliver otherwise some form of limiter should be used

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon
That may be true but still not the root of the problem the system wasn't properly designed if it can not operate at the limits that the track can deliver
Absolutely no argument there.
I just wanted to point out the importance of actively monitoring the volume.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-09-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subs are a special case. I use the 4645c almost exclusively. One of them by itself is "futile." When you add another, it seems be be 4 times as solid/loud.

I agree with Brad. "Failures" on this unit occur MUCH more frequently in single installations than in multiple unit installs. (still better than the 4645B.)

Good luck!! Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-09-2005 06:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay lets work the problem...

First off...as Gordon pointed out...the JBL 4645C, which uses the JBL 2242H driver, is rated at 800-watts continious pink noise...this is the figure that you want. "Program" ratings are typically 2-4 times that but are meant for very short durations that may be encountered in music or speach, not for ANYTHING sustained as the subwoofer channel in a cinema soundtrack. For subwoofers, only the continious pink noise specification should be used. Thus, you have an 800-watt subwoofer.

Next, your amplifier...the MX-1500a amp (going by memory) is a 350-watt into 8-Ohm amp...bridged it is 700-watts into 8-ohms (my memory was wrong here, John is correct..the MX-1500a is rated at 1000-watts into 20-20KHz...the rest of my text is being left in since it true of many amplifier spec sheets). That is all the power you got. But wait you say...the spec sheet claims it is 1000-watts....check that spec...is it 20-20KHz or just the 1KHz spec that most amps use? It is the 1KHz spec...are you playing just a single tone? Is that tone 1KHz? That does not sound like a subwoofer channel to me...in fact, it isn't representative of any signal (other than a tone). Real program is in the 20-20KHz range and for the subwoofer...it is 15Hz - 250Hz, depending on processor and application. Thus, you want the 20-20KHz spec whenever determining amplifier power...NEVER the 1KHz spec...just throw that one away. If all you have is the 1KHz spec, then multiply by around .7 to determine real power in the audible range (this is a rule of thumb and is not applicable to all amps but if the amp manufacturer is being truthful, they will publish both specs (they have to use 1KHz since everyone else does).

Okay...how loud can the subwoofer be 2/3rds of the way back from the screen in a movie theatre running a digital sound track? If you go with Dolby, that is 113dB (this presumes you set up your system properly such that the stage channels are at 85dBc and the subwoofer channel is 10dB higher in the pass band referenced to the center channel for digital). Note, DTS uses the spec 115dB but lets go with Dolby's 113.

Okay. Back to the subwoofer...what is its sensitivity...this should be rated in 1-watt at 1-meter. Don't be fooled by some manufacturers that list a voltage rather than wattage...do the math and those that use voltage are boosting their numbers.

Gord gave an optimistic number...the 4645C is around 97dB 1-watt@1-meter. (Gordon's number is for the frequency range of 50Hz-500Hz. For 40-100Hz...the sensitivity drops to 97dB).

You listed your room as 65-feet long.

Based on that information, you need: 6,945-watts

Looking over your equipment...you don't have that! Your subwoofer should have blown up!

Where did you get it into your head that

There is no way this should have happened (1000 watt amp on a 1600 watt driver).
You clearly don't know what you are doing or what you are talking about.

Lets work the problem again...add just one more subwoofer (4645C). That will increase the sensitivity by 3-dB for you non technical types and increase power handing to 1600-watts. The MX-1500a amp will run bridged into 4-ohms at right around 1300-1400 or so watts.

Now how much power do you need? As you pointd out in your original post...3-dB is half power. Running the actual numbers you get 3,481-watts. Hmmm still not enough. Now if you run your fader at say 5 or so...you will get away with that because you will be 3-5 dB down. 5dB down from 3481 is 1101-watts. The system is still poorly designed.

So lets add a 3rd sub...sensitivity goes to? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone? 101.8...but lets be optimistic...call it 102dB

Run the numbers again and we get: 2,196-watts. Well at last. Subwoofer wise we have enough power handling. But how to hook up a single stereo amplifier to this...you can't just parallel them all. Three subs at 8-Ohms is 2.67-Ohms...when an amp is in bridge mode that would half the impedance. The MX-1500 is not rated into 1.33 ohms a side nor 2.67 ohms bridged. You could, at this point, go using another amp to get the power and impedances to work out.

Alternately lets go to four subs. The sensitivity goes to 103dB of the 4-subwoofer system. The power drops to 1,745-watts. Still more than your single MX-1500a can handle but there are amps available that can provide 900-watt/channel into 4-ohms or with two amps running bridged one can easily achieve this rating without using particularly large amps. Note too, when running large amps, if you are nearing 2400-watts...you can't do that on a single 20-amp circuit at 120 VAC. If you are crossing the 2000-watt range on an amplifier...consider a 30-amp circuit or runing it at 208 volts (normally you must specifiy that voltage in the USA since 120VAC is presummed).

Let nip any idea you may have on how can an undersized amp destroy a speaker rated for more power. Many people are under the misunderstanding that the amplifier can effectively limit the power to the speaker...it can...kind of...however, it is rather nasty about it. When an amp runs out of power...it clips. To the speaker...this is nasty. The cone is forced all of the way to one extreme, held there...then sent to the other extreme, held there and then add harmonics to the signal and you get a driver that cooks. A woofer depends heavily on its motion to provide its cooling...when a driver is driven by a clipped signal...it isn't cooling its voice coil it is just cooking...this will kill a driver faster than over driving it. Most drivers are pretty good about it until they "bottom out" or until the voice coil is driven out of the gap (common issue with the JBl 2245H).

In non-biamped systems, when an amplifier clips, the distorted signal will get processed by the passive crossover and send that high-power nasty crap to the poor HF sections of your speakers and smoke them too.

The moral of that story NEVER underamp.

Sorry if I sounded cross but your statement in your original post was just plain wrong and stupid. It showed absolutely no understanding of power ratings and sound.

Digital soundtracks require a lot out of the subwoofer channel and the surround channels....MUCH more so than optical sound ever asked. Where one sub can work in a optical sound theatre...it is not uncommon to go to 4 subs in the same theatre for digital.

Again, all of the above presumes that you tuned your theatre to spec at fader setting of "7" and actually run your theatre at "7". Whereas most cinemas I've encountered do not run their theatres at 7, they can cheat the numbers a bit but it is still bad design.

BTW...Louis ... the JBL 4645B is functionally the same speaker as the 4645C...only the port design was changed. I think you were meaning the original 4645 that used the JBL 2245H driver...it is rated at a mere 350-watts. The 4645 has had a hard life in the Digital world...then again, its foam surround has worked against it for long term durability. What the original 4645 did have was an inherent very low bottom end. The Driver easily went down to 20Hz (the foam surround helped out with that). The current 4645C really needs a B-6 tuning to get down to 22Hz flat. BTW...the B-6 tunning comes off of the power handling [Smile]

Steve

[Edited to correct amplifier mistake and to clarify the difference in subwoofer sensitivity between mine and Gordon's number]

[ 07-10-2005, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

John A. Parker Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 08:42 PM      Profile for John A. Parker Jr.   Email John A. Parker Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I am not stupid. I have been in theatre, both live and cinema for 40 years! The entire point of this post was to alert you to the fact that there could be a problem with this soundtrack. It seams funny that this system has been running for 5 years and has not encountered any problems. If you want to gripe at the original installer of the system, call Frank Worthington of Goldsboro, N. C. as that is who designed and installed this system in 1999. (end rant) As for levels, the master was on -2.0, and also had lowered the output to the amp(software control) by 1.5db. I was about to invoke the high pass filter (48 hertz) when things went south. Before this post had been made, the decission had been made to go to two subs to handle this. Thank you for all your comments, since I am too stupid to stay, I bid you goodbye. Brad please cancel my password.
John A. Parker Jr.
your stupid audio tech.

Oh yeh, The spec sheet for the mx-1500A says 1000 watts in the bridge mode. The sub IS rated at 800 watts pink noise and 1600 watts program. since what was playing was program, I would expect it to handle those peaks. Another reason I was trying to bring the level down was that I did notice the amp clipping and knew that this was not good.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid was a poor choice of terminology. The proper word would have been ignorant (look it up if you think those two words mean the same thing).

Simply put, Steve's answer is right on the money and clearly took him a bit of time to calculate and compose to benefit others for LEARNING. This site is about the spreading of knowledge. No one person here knows the most about everything. There is ALWAYS someone who knows more about a specific topic. You shouldn't take it personally. Steve's answer was helpful to your dilemma and could save you problems down the road if you will listen to his advice.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-09-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you proably won't be reading this since you are choosing not to belong anymore....but...

First of all, I am not stupid
I did not call you stupid...only the statement you made in your original post. It is... just look at it:

There is no way this should have happened (1000 watt amp on a 1600 watt driver).
I have explained why the statement is wrong...very wrong. Your premise that all was set up well and that with a 1000-watt amp you can't blow up a 1600-watt subwoofer is just plain wrong. I have explained that in my previous post.

The entire point of this post was to alert you to the fact that there could be a problem with this soundtrack.
I think we all realize the point of your post however, what it showed was your lack of understanding rather than alert people of a problem.

Digital sound is pretty well defined. If your system is set up properly, as you claim and that with pink noise in a cinema system your speakers are set to 85dBc at your nominal fader setting. The output can not be more than 20dB above that since nominal level in all cinema digital audio system is at -20dB. The subwoofer channel is set at 10dB above the stage channels...this allows the subwoofer channel to reach as high as 115dB in a properly set up sound system running at nominal level (in your processor's case 0dB which corresponds to "7" on a Dolby Brand processor and most others).

As such, all the information you need is there. Based on this information, how you can make a statement that there may be a problem with the film? You system is GROSSLY underpowered and under subwoofered. The problem isn't with the film, it is with the system as it is installed.

I stand corrected on the MX-1500a's specification, you are right that it is rated at 1000-watts into 8-Ohms from 20-20KHz.

Even using the number of 1000-watts. You are nearly 8.5dB deficient. Lowering your fader by 2dB (-2dB) still leaves you nearly 6.5 dB light. What choice did your system have but to blow up?

Before this post had been made, the decission had been made to go to two subs to handle this.
Why? How are you coming up with your numbers. With two subs, you are still underpowered and don't have enough subwoofers. You are still nearly 3.4dB light. With your fader at -2dB, you are still over a dB short and all else being equal, should still clip the system.

Misinterpreting a cut sheet is normal and deliberate. The manufacturers always want their equipment to look better than it is. "Program" levels are based on nothing more than a multiplication of the continous pink noise level. In a subwoofer system, the signal does not resemble "program" but more like a continious noise stream as long as the the effect is needed. It isn't like kick drum in music where you will get a "whomp" and it is over...that is what the "program" spec is really for.

Amplifiers notoriously use a 1KHz spec even though that is not practical for actual program use. QSC is good in that they list both (though they typically don't list the 20-20KHz for the lower impedances)

Thank you for all your comments, since I am too stupid to stay, I bid you goodbye.
No one, besides yourself, said anything about being too stupid to stay. What did do was boast an incorrect statement as matter-of-fact.

Brad, you are correct...the word stupid was not the best choice though accurate as applied to the statement made. However, ignorant is clearly the best and most accurate choice, even as applied to the statement. My apologies.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think the word "mistaken" would be much more friendly, polite and tactful... Really guys, do you think saying "You clearly don't know what you are doing or what you are talking about." is, in any way, going to encourage people to ask questions, or cause anything but hostility?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-09-2005 10:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad
No one person here knows the most about everything.
Except me. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: