Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Velvet in film trap (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Velvet in film trap
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to try an experiment to improve steadiness when running certain films. I have obtained some velevet that Kinoton supply for film traps. My question is whether it's best to stick the velvet to the gate bands or the film runners?

My preference is the bands because at least if my experiment goes horribly wrong, I can get new bands rather than scrape off glue from the runners.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matthew,
I have Vic 5 with the new curved gates, and have velvet
on the tension bands. Works beautifully, and I need just an
absolute minimum of preassure on the bands.

I use very handy self-adhesive velvet bands - no messy
glue. Easy to apply, easy to pull off. If you would like
to try them, just give me your address and Iīll send you
a couple in an envelope.

Thomas

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Thomas. The only thing I'm concerned about is that sticking velvet to the gate bands will increase the pressure on the film too much, maybe causing excessive wear on the intermittent mech.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this done on oldstyle Vic-5 gates with not bad results, but the felt changes the position of the film in relation of the aperture, causing a wider fuzzy edge. This wouldnt be a problem on the newer curved gate or a Simplex curved gate type design - at least not to the same degree. I'd want to be sure that the addition of the felt to the pressure straps doesn't cause them to contact the aperture plate.

What kind of projector?

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 01:38 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Accurate focusing is sometime impossible with velvet ! [eyes]

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason I use velvet in my Vic 5 curved gate, is
to isolate the film from the very hot metal tension bands.
I have removed the stupid "pushers" above the gate, and
the preassure is next to none. The velvet bands have to
be changed after one or two months - being brushed and
cleaned daily ofcourse. They also make the machine run a
little smoother.

Another reason for using velvet, was dirt getting stuck
real hard on the tension bands because of the heat. Almost
impossible to remove. At the Cinema Expo in Amsterdam this
year, I spoke to very nice Mr Massimo Riva from Cinemeccanica
about it. He told me they have come up with a special tool
to clean the bands with. I havenīt seen it yet, but if it
works, perhaps Iīll say goodbye to the velvet...

Thomas

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erneman machines have velvet as standard, seems to work fine, but you do have to change it regularly.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felt pads have been used on many machines at differant times for many years, but is only succesful on new or clean film.

Stan.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2005 04:31 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a machine (I'm sure they exist though) that you can't adjust the gate clearance.
Wouldn't this be an automatic requisite if you're adding thickness to the bands via the felt?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2005 10:10 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Heights Theatre in Minneapolis has Velvet in their AAII's. I talked to TJ Hopland last week and he said the velvet bands run great in all aspects for them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-2005 01:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stan Gunn
Felt pads have been used on many machines at differant times for many years, but is only succesful on new or clean film.
Hallelujah! I tried velvet bands back when I had an AAII in my screening room and on a Christie projector. What a joke it was. If you were running anything but a lab new print, it made far more of a mess than anything else. Steadiness was NOT improved and print wear was greater as the velvet collected dust and dirt from the films.

Velvet on the bands is a stupid, stupid idea.
[Mad]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-18-2005 12:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film contacting components of the projector gate are running really hot, it can aggravate buildup of hardened gelatin emulsion that will severely abrade the film. If you can't touch the metal parts of the gate after running a while without getting burned, it's likely much too hot.

Things that help:

1. Water cooled gates (duh!), especially for larger lamps.

2. Use heat filtration (dichroic coating on reflector, or auxillary filters that reflect infrared energy to a heat sink). Be sure the mirror and heat sinks are well cooled by sufficient air flow.

3. Be sure any heat sinks or shields are in proper position to protect metal components of gate from excessive radiant energy --- light should just slightly overfill the aperture

4. Be sure to clean the film-contacting components of the gate between shows, especially to remove any hardened buildups of gelatin emulsion. Scrape with your fingernail or a hard plastic pick (NEVER use metal tools that could cause a knick or burr on the gate components), and then use a stiff bristled toothbrush.

4. Between shows, apply a thin coating of a hard wax (carnauba or paraffin) to the film-contacting components of the gate.

5. Be careful not to let relative humidity get too high. Humidities above 65% can make the gelatin film emulsion softer and more likely to build up on a hot gate.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Pytlak,
The build-up on the tension bands of the curved gates of my
Vic 5 was stuck so hard it couldnīt be removed, no matter how
I tried. I had to replace them. The water cooling of the curved gates doesnīt cool the gate, just the surrounding area. Thatīs
why I started to use velvet, to isolate the film from the heat.

In your opinion, is velvet a bad idea?

Thomas

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-18-2005 06:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a strong believer in using velvet bands in most projectors

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-19-2005 10:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Jonsson
The build-up on the tension bands of the curved gates of my Vic 5 was stuck so hard it couldnīt be removed, no matter how I tried. I had to replace them. The water cooling of the curved gates doesnīt cool the gate, just the surrounding area.
Might you have defocused the lamp, such that the cone of light from the lamphouse is overfilling the aperture by so much that most of the energy hits the metal of the gate area, causing it to really heat up? With a lamp that is larger than needed, defocusing gives great illumination uniformity, but can put alot more heat on the metal around the aperture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: