Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where can I buy speaker grill material?

Author Topic: Where can I buy speaker grill material?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-11-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have several speakers that (thanks to our stupid Torus screen) sit on the floor and are constantly having popcorn, napkins, and other miscellaneous crap blown into them by our ushers and janitors when they clean the theater. These speakers have no grill to protect them from flying debris or anything else that comes along. Recently we found one with a tear in it that's roughly the size of a foot. [Roll Eyes]

We're told that we can't buy grills for these particular speakers, but my question is, can we buy the metal grill material, cut it to the right dimensions and screw it into the speaker cabinet to protect the woofers and what not? If so, where can we get that material?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark--
Metal would probably rattle creating noises that aren't on the
track. However, you may want to Goggle. You might find some-
thing there. [Smile]

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this link

Link

[ 07-12-2005, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used the Parts Express grills on my subs and they work fine. No rattles at all.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-11-2005 08:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! ...

these are probably exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks, guys! [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-11-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penn Fab made metal "waffle" grills (and proably are the supplier to Parts Express). IRC, they also had "rectangular" versions that would cover the whole face of the sub. They are metal and depending on how they are mounted shouldn't rattle.

Often the round ones will do just fine. They have a rubber grommet that often lines up with the front "gasket" of the driver so there is not rattle point. One can then glue smaller round grills over the ports (or screw them down) to keep critters and trash out.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-14-2005 04:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the prettiest material, but I've sometimes stretched window screen as a "grill".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: