Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS discs not arriving with Prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: DTS discs not arriving with Prints
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 09:57 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the busiest time for this part of the year the two biggest movies(War of the Worlds and Fantastic Four) arrived in the country with no DTS discs.
Keep up the Good work DTS-I'm sure this will encourage more people to buy your products!!! [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-10-2005 10:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Keep up the Good work DTS-I'm sure this will encourage more people to buy your products!!! "
Last time I checked DTS doesn't provide the disks to any theatre that is the distributors job and if a theatre doesn't get disks when requested that is actually between the theatre and the distributor only

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2005 11:16 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian, I have no problems at all getting DTS disks,Have got DTS disks for war of the worlds 1 set for each print. It's Very rare not to get Disks.I suggest that you contact UIP despatch services and get them to mark that you reqire DTS disks.The other problem is that projection staff cant be bothered to return the disks with the print when they have finished with them and have heaps of them sitting around when regional locations coud be using them.We always return the disks in the box with the print so at least the next location will get the disks .There seems to be a problem with regional cinemas not getting disks.Get onto despatch centre and hastle them.

Cheers [beer]

Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-10-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the stupidest problems the industry has, and would be one of the easiest to fix. Technicolor, at least, scans the DTS disks out with each print. It should be a simple matter to set up a system where any theatre that doesn't return disks gets a bill for oh, say, $500.00. If the disks are returned eventually, they would get a $250 credit.

Why DTS hasn't taken the lead in developing a system -- at no charge -- by which this could be accomplished is beyond me. It is a black eye on an otherwise excellent system.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-11-2005 02:43 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any problems with DTS discs this year.

While it should not be necessary, I made sure TES and ETS knew I have DTS systems here. I figured that, if they were going to knowingly short a print its disc, it would be the print that was shipped to a drive-in. As I have 2 screens on DTS, I made an effort to get around an issue like that. So far, every print has had its discs... the prints I've opened on the break, and those that have seen a screen or two.

As for getting replacements: ETS told me that they have half a dozen "spares" for every feature they get (in the Seattle depot, at least). So... they appear to have the ability to help at least a few theatres that find themselves missing a set.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-11-2005 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should make them available as downloads.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-11-2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Downloads are prob. illegal due to copyright.

BTW: When DTS started up, an old-timer friend of mine listed off several things that are "wrong" with discs: (no discs, wrong discs, broken discs, wear on cactus needle, etc). Of course I am talking about "the first time" discs in 1926.

I have, however, seen at least one time every problem except the cactus needle problem.

Makes you appreciate sound-on-film.

Louis

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 01:12 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some things never change.....

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 08:31 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Gordon I've obviously been told lies by our distributors as that's exactly what they told me that "DTS has not sent the discs into the country" I've been making long distance calls to distributors despatch dept,almost on a weekly basis, to send me discs that weren't with the prints I recieve.I did get a set of discs for War of the worlds about 10 days after opening day and I'm still waiting on discs for Fantastic Four.
When we had the DTS installed we contacted all our distributors(on several occassions) to let them know we require DTS discs,as far as I can tell they don't even keep lists of theatres that need DTS discs.I'm sure they never check returned prints in any way-unless the box is falling apart!
Stephen-it's interesting that you got the Discs on time-I have been lied to!!I have asked all despatches to be put onto any list they may have for DTS but I don't think they exist.Fox told us at one stage that they don't handle DTS discs at all and that we would probably never get DTS discs for a Fox Print.I hassle with these people on a weekly basis-DTS is an excellent sounding system and has brought my theatres to life-but the system they use to get the discs to us is [bs]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, have you emailed DTS and asked them to get involved?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-13-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Downloads are prob. illegal due to copyright.
The new encryption being used on the audio files makes them unplayable (at least for now) except in a DTS unit, so it shouldn't be a problem.

DTS can track the downloads with theater logins, and IP address logging and what not. They can even set it up so that if you need to download something, you have to make a phone call to them, and they issue you a one time password to download that one movie that you need.

It can be done without making it a free-for-all, and quite frankly, it's amazing that no one has set it up yet.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 01:49 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad that's my next step to contact DTS direct,I'm over being told crap from our distributors.
I agree-downloading the files would solve the problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2005 05:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The offer to host the dts files free for the industry continues to stand here. Something like a 6 months backlog available for download either freely or via password given by dts is easily doable.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-13-2005 08:34 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

When you contact DTS, make sure you articulate the download idea to them and how helpful that would be in your situation. It's customers pushing them that's most likely to make things happen.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Something like a 6 months backlog available for download either freely or via password given by dts is easily doable.
This would be good for the first run users of DTS, however I have found that the DTS disks tend to be missing for most older films (at least in the UK). Not having a DTS equiped system I have not contatcted the distributers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: