Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dark Water R3 has dark water stains!

Author Topic: Dark Water R3 has dark water stains!
Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2005 07:37 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night when I screened Dark Water the entire third reel had a continuous running smudge (similar to a dark water or coffee stain) right down the center of the screen. It was even noticeable on dark scenes. Anyone else had similar problems.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-08-2005 07:58 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did not, but Technicolor actually called us to see if we had water damage to our print because they were getting a lot of reports of reels being wet and sticking together.

Kinda ironic. I wonder if that adds to the experience of the film. [Roll Eyes]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only liquid on my print of DW is FilmGuard.
However, each real drops out of DTS once for a couple seconds.
Usually close to the beginning of the reel.
What the hell?

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got a reel one that was bad. As I wound through it, you can hear the pulling of the emulsion and before I could stop the table, the film shreaded. Gotta love Technicolor. 15 years in the business, that's the first time I've seen that come through a booth.

Bernie

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2005 08:41 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote "Usually close to the beginning of the reel.
What the hell? " I am advised that is a symptom of not having the current firmware installed in your DTS

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, firmware is up to date.
We've had no troubles with it prior except with defective reels and when the reels were replaced it functioned properly.

Dan Bouvier
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 06:45 PM      Profile for Dan Bouvier   Email Dan Bouvier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumour has it they used one type of film stock but set the machines for a different type and it wasn't given time to dry. The reels were then shipped wet, literally.

Jason Greek
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Jason Greek   Email Jason Greek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, our reel one, just the very beginning of it was wet... I played it for the first performance... and since our print was built up TWICE, I figured that if we had any wet reels, someone would have noticed it. I was wrong...

Dan Bouvier
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 12:37 AM      Profile for Dan Bouvier   Email Dan Bouvier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since many depots are using snap reels, they don't really inspect the film at all anymore. If they were spinning them onto metal reels they would've caught it.

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 06:40 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor must been aware as we got our replacement reel 1:30PM opening day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: