Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vinegar Syndrome replasticizers for film

Author Topic: Vinegar Syndrome replasticizers for film
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2005 01:12 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a real study of replasticizing acetate films that have gone vinegar? Especially one studying the results of using camphor to replasiticize shrunken, brittle film?

It's an old storage technique that has been propagated as effective by someone who, to be honest has done much research in the studio/industry area, but has been wrong, wrong, wrong in blatantly inferential statements about many technical & exhibition industry matters. You know how this gets on the nerves of the screwdriver & tapemeasure people, & he sets off every warning bell I've got when he propagates things like this.

Leo's reported that Film Guard in his experience will make brittle film pliable enough to project (if it hasn't shrunk too far). I don't know of any study of the results of the use of a chunk of camphor in cans to reverse VS; I only know of anecdotal reports of the practice done in the hope (& possibly belief) that it will work.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-29-2005 04:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to point out a fact here that many people seem to overlook in the salespitch hype...once a film has started to turn vinegar, it can NOT be reversed or cured. There are 2 companies out there that claim they have products which can do this, but the claims are flat out lies. The absolute best that can be hoped for is to slow down the VS process.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-29-2005 08:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed totally with both William and Brad. The only thing I'd add is that we need to be clear what the objective is of any treatment applied to a given element: are you trying to preserve it in order to be able to duplicate its content at a later date, or are trying to treat it in order to make it projectable? I've always found that FG is excellent for the latter, because its lubrication properties reduces the potential for damage caused by an older element being shrunk or brittle. If that element is a release print which is designated as a viewing copy (i.e. other, pre-print elements are already being stored for preservation), then the first rule of preservation (don't apply any treatment which may - even may - be irreversible) doesn't apply. In that scenario there's no point in keeping it if you can't show it, and if FG enables you to show it, then go ahead. [thumbsup]

quote: William Hooper
Does anyone know of a real study of replasticizing acetate films that have gone vinegar? Especially one studying the results of using camphor to replasiticize shrunken, brittle film?
I'd be astonished if the IPI hasn't done some sort of work in this area. I'm going to be in London for a meeting next Friday, and will try and call in at the BFI library and have a look through some journal abstracts. On a purely anecdotal level, I've sometimes come across 16mm and 9.5mm elements from the '20s and '30s (usually reversal), which have been stored in those cans that have a camphor impregnated pad built into the lid. They're usually in astonishingly good condition for their age, and very rarely get an a/d strip excited. But as Brad says, you can't stop or reverse VS (or nitrate decomposition, or EK dye fading), just slow it down.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 09:00 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might check out some of the references posted on the Kodak website:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/storage.jhtml?id=0.1.4.11.12&lc=en

quote:
Storage

Vinegar Syndrome
"Vinegar Syndrome" is a term used to describe the chemical reaction that goes on during the deterioration of cellulose triacetate film support. When cellulose triacetate begins to decompose, "deacetylation" occurs and the acetate ion reacts with moisture to form acetic acid producing a vinegar odor when a can is opened. Once the reaction is started, it cannot be stopped. —Information extracted from a paper that was presented at the 1992 AMIA Conference on December 10, 1992, by Dr. Tulsi Ram.

Molecular Sieve Acid Scavenger
Molecular Sieve is a promising new technology developed by Eastman Kodak Company that has the ability to retard the vinegar syndrome reaction. Simply stated, the inclusion of Molecular Sieve with processed motion picture film in a sealed container has the ability to extend the life of the dye images and film support beyond that which is currently considered normal.

Storage Information
Descriptions of storage conditions, their variations, and general considerations and comparisions; storage of raw stock, the effect of ambient background radiation on raw stock, radiation from airport x-ray equipment, and more.

Storage Room
Explanations of appropriate storage facility characteristics, including relative humidity, temperature, tropical conditions, air conditioning, dehumidification, dessication, chemical contamination, water damage, extended storage considerations, and more.

Storage and Handling of Processed Nitrate Film
Nitrate base, the pioneer of motion picture film bases, retired from our cameras and laboratories about 1951-52. Still, its very long shadow of distinguished commercial motion pictures and film records haunts many film vaults. Nitrate base films must be handled with informed care.

Handling of Processed Film
Detailed information about room cleanliness, inspection methods, film damage, emulsion deterioration, common repairs, damage evaluation, film cleaning, lubrication, and more.

Storage and Handling of Unprocessed Film
Information on maintaining film quality with refrigeration, frozen film, Newton's rings and ferrotyping, effects of humidity and contaminants, and airport x-ray fog. Technical Information Bulletin #TIB5202.

Storage and Handling of Processed Film
Discusses effects of humidity on processed film, Newton's rings and ferrotyping, effects of contaminants, extended storage (10 years or more), and airport x-ray fog. Technical Information Bulletin #TIB5203.

Quite a bit of work was published in the late 1980's, as Kodak funded investigative work at Manchester Polytechnic in the UK (Michele Edge, Norm Allen).

Also lots on the Image Permanence Institute site:

http://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/sub_pages/8contents.htm

If a triacetate film is "turning vinegar", you can really slow the degradation by cold, dry, and vented storage (or use Molecular Sieves for film sealed in cans). Periodic inspection by careful rewinding helps vent any buildup of acid vapors and relieves any stresses building up within the roll. Separate "vinegar" films from the rest of your collection so the acid vapors don't affect the other films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: