Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replacing Christie P35GPS turret latches

Author Topic: Replacing Christie P35GPS turret latches
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question concerning the Christie P35GPS turret latch for the dual lens turret.

Most of our turret latches no longer hold the turret securely. Over the years they have developed a groove in them. These latches are almost 8 years old now.

My plan was to replace all 24 of our turret latches. I have ordered and received the first batch of new turret latches.

But, I have encountered a problem. The new latches I received (part # 197065-001) are a slightly different animal.

The hole in the middle is much larger and it does not have the small post that the spring sits between. Also, a few of the other parts look a little different.

I tried to find a good diagram of this part but had no luck. Does anyone out there have any experience or tips for replacing the older version turret latch with this new one? Are there additional parts I need to order? Do I need to re-use some parts from the original latches?

Thanks,
Carey Barber

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 12:26 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not very familiar with P35GPS, but I would suggest you call the manufacturer. They may have simply sent you the wrong part; perhaps thay have the older style latch in stock, and just got confuse. At the same time, you could ask about any special installation instructions and rough prices.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2005 01:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean James from Christie is lurking around here somewhere. He would be an ideal person to answer your question. I know several years back Christie changed this latch (for the better) and afterwards the various problems with them vanished and to my knowledge have not returned with the new design.

What year were your machines manufactured?

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller asked what year the machines were manufacturered.

I am not sure what year they were made (how would you find that out?) but our theater has been open for almost 8 years now.

-Carey

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-01-2005 09:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity, what theatre is this? I used to work at the Williamsburg Theatre (now "Kimball Theatre") when I lived in the tidewater, VA area.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 10:51 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and Sean changed a few complexes of latches during the shows that were running. At first it was a little nerve wracking, but was easy after the first couple.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the same as doing a Siml;ex pad roller spring. Similar mechanism..... I replaced 4 up in Idaho last year.

MArk

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 06:53 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick is to hold the spring-loaded latch open while closing the turret instead of just slamming it shut. I've found that this also keeps the latch from getting loose and screwing up the lens alignment. Yeah...it takes an extra second to do, but it's easier on the machine.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Norwood,

Sorry it took me a while to respond to your question...

This is the AMC Hampton Towne Centre 24 in Hampton, Virginia.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-05-2005 06:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a pretty good theatre when it opened--a huge upgrade over the AMC Newmarket Mall 4 and AMC Coliseum 4 (?), which were both pretty dumpy, as was the AMC Patrick Henry Mall 7. Those three houses are now (mercifully) closed. I haven't been back to the 24-plex in several years, however.

There was some weird issue about that theatre when it opened--apparently the building permit was granted in error (the theatre is in a designated "crash zone" for Langley AFB) and a deal was struck to allow the theatre to be built, but not allow it to be re-built if more than 75% of it is destroyed in a plane crash. Maybe you know the whole story behind this--I only heard about it in bits and pieces.

If you want to see a truly dumpy theatre in that general region, I recommend the Carmike Williamsburg Crossing, known locally as "the sticky floor place." I think that that name says it all.

After I graduated from W&M and left the area, Colonial Williamsburg renovated the Williamsburg Theatre to accommodate live performances and added a small screening room as well. They did a pretty nice job with it and it is now probably the best place in the area (aside from the Byrd in Richmond and possibly the Naro in Norfolk) to see a film in the area.

The whole Hampton Roads area is terribly over-screened, although less so than it was in 1999 or so.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2005 11:08 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

You are right about the poor quality of those AMC multiplexes-- it is a blessing that they are closed. I actually started working at the Patrick Henry 7 as a concessionist about 9 years ago when I was 16 years old. (Wow!!!)

I was not aware then just how poor our standards were. We had no real booth manager. We had zero training for our projectionists.

I would like to think that our presentation is much better than that of our multiplex predecessors. I only wish that I had more training and knowledge of the equipment. AMC would do well to implement a full training program for their booth managers. Almost everything I have learned has been reactive - that is, something breaks and then I learn how to fix it-- by taking it apart or calling around, etc.

We have less competition now than before. There is a Regal that's pretty close but they don't do too much business. There was a Regal-turned-"YRC" theater that was real close, but they could not compete with us. They closed down and opened a 'Cinema Cafe' in recent weeks. We'll see how they do. There is another, fairly new, AMC Lynnhaven 18 in Virginia Beach.

Edit - That sounds about right about the crash zone. I don't much detail beyond what you wrote. Even in our booth it sounds like the planes are about to hit.

-Carey

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: