Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Disney, Dolby and Digital Cinema -> OT Bring back 70mm; film stock; hdtv; other stuff (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Disney, Dolby and Digital Cinema -> OT Bring back 70mm; film stock; hdtv; other stuff
Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The three "D's" add up to 100 new screens by November. And this is for real... we're not saying "in the next five years" or "if we receive financing" or "1000 to 2,500 screens"...

This is money in the bank.

I believe the full press release is on the Dolby Web site.

And before we get attacked for this move by all the film purists... of which I am one, take a step back and consider this venture. With Box office declining, we gotta fill those seats and continually improve the experience...

Keeping you all up with the headlines...

Yours, Ted

[ 07-06-2005, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, 100 is just the equivelent of the zit on a gnats ass anyway. But good luck with the venture!!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-30-2005 08:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep pluggin' along! [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-30-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will these be 2k pixels or 4k? In other words, is it anything that would make it better than HDTV, besides the size (and thus decreasing the overall sharpness as a result)?

I think I'll stay home.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-30-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there's a little more to this...

Link

quote: Text Of Article
BURBANK, Calif., June 27, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Disney once again leads the film industry by introducing Disney Digital 3D(TM), a brand new, state-of-the-art technology providing the first true three-dimensional digital experience in movie theatres, with the highly anticipated movie Chicken Little to be released on November 4, 2005. In collaboration with Disney, Dolby Laboratories plans to install its Dolby(R) Digital Cinema systems in approximately 100 specially-selected, high-profile theatres in 25 top markets that will present the 3D film. Visual effects giant Industrial Light & Magic (a Lucasfilm Ltd. company) will render the movie in 3D so it can be played on Dolby Digital Cinema servers at selected theatres. This joint effort will create the next leap forward in the evolution of motion picture entertainment, bringing animation to life.

This historic debut of an entirely new release format will further define, refine, and elevate the film art form and marks the first time a major motion picture studio (Disney) has fully embraced a digital deployment plan. Disney selected Dolby Digital Cinema, a state-of-the-art digital cinema presentation system, to debut Chicken Little's brand new proprietary CG animation process. Dolby's technology, combined with Industrial Light & Magic's newly invented method of creating digital 3D imagery, provides the first feature motion picture presented in true digital 3D. Viewers of Chicken Little will experience this revolutionary format with the use of special 3D glasses offering greater clarity and more comfort than conventional 3D glasses.

Commenting on the announcement, Dick Cook, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios, said, "Disney Digital 3D is a truly groundbreaking technology that combines the latest innovations of science and art, and we are proud to be a part of filmmaking history. Our proprietary, state-of-the-art CG animation process used to make Chicken Little and future animation projects will finally allow moviegoers to experience true digital three-dimensional entertainment in theatres." Cook continued, "Walt Disney pioneered many technological breakthroughs and set an uncompromising goal for his Studio to constantly push the envelope to offer a superior movie going experience. We are very proud to add this animation milestone to the long list of technological breakthroughs for the studio, and we are especially thrilled to work with entertainment technology leader Dolby in this exciting launch. Likewise, we are proud to have the wizards at Industrial Light & Magic to help deliver the movie in 3D."

"Disney and Dolby's commitment to digital cinema paves the way for a large scale digital cinema deployment," said Tim Partridge, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Professional Division, Dolby Laboratories. "Dolby is a trusted brand for providing technologies that dramatically improve the moviegoing experience, and Disney has a fantastic reputation for delivering incredible movies to audiences worldwide. This is a great collaboration between both companies to launch Chicken Little on Dolby Digital Cinema."

ILM President Chrissie England said, "The digital 3D release of Chicken Little is a very exciting chapter in Hollywood history as it marks the next generation of moviemaking. We are delighted to participate with Disney in setting a new benchmark for the future. We are pleased that Chicken Little is the first animated movie to use our new process using Disney's actual 3D models, animation, and camera data. This process allows us to provide a richer, more nuanced viewing experience for moviegoers than any existing postproduction techniques. We feel audiences will embrace this experience as the new standard in animated features."

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that'll bring 'em in...for two minutes! Just like the original 3-D, CinemaScope, 70mm, Dolby Stereo, digital sound, surround EX, etc. These were all exciting in their day, right? Of course, when the customers get to these theatres, there will be no staff, because, as usual, they will have CUT THE PAYROLL to pay for another gimmick instead of giving GOOD SERVICE and applying GOOD MANAGEMENT!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-30-2005 10:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh geez, LIES I tell you. ALL LIES! What a load of crap.

quote:
...blah, blah, blah...with the highly anticipated movie Chicken Little to be released on November 4, 2005
Like anyone is actually looking forward to that chicken turd. [Razz]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2005 05:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, just after getting everyone to invest in red readers, Chicken Little starts telling everyone that the sky is falling yet again and they must "go digital" to fill those seats because film isn't doing it.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 09:32 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
they must "go digital" to fill those seats because film isn't doing it.

Like any average movie goer gives a shit anyway. I don't look for attendance to suddenly jump based on what medium the movie is projected with. Hell, half the people I talk to think we use DVD's or Large Video tape VCR's to play the movie. If hollywood wants attendance to go up then stop making huge piles of shit like REBOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital isn't gonna fill more seats. Can't anyone see that? And I can not believe that people that work as Projectionist on this forum want to see this happen. You will be out of work. As it is, they don't want projectionist. That aside, digital is not the answer. I have digital slides and preshows and standard film in my Loews and I tell you ,no one knows the difference or cares. As sad as that sounds. What we need is something like IMAX to grow. Take a look at Polar Express. 35 Million over Christmas. Batman broke a new record for IMAX over it's opening weekend. This is the stuff that they should be putting money into, not digital. Don't you see, that the only reason the distributors want Digital is because it will save THEM money. What will it do for the exhibitor? From what I see nothing. As it is, It took Technicolor almost a month to install the digital slides, and it still doesn't work properly. If Digital was that successful, then we should have seen more installations over the past 7 years.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myself, I feel we should learn about digital, because it's the comming thing. I think it's going to take longer than the 2-3 years some people are saying, but it will happen. I want to learn more, not only so I can continue in this industry, but maybe I can even be one of the many minor people that helped a new technology come alive.

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 12:23 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see the spirit of Film-Tech lives!

The one advantage to Digital Cinema, and of course it does not affect you guys, is that there is no quality degredation such as wear and tear, over time, with a "digital print." The first show is as clean as the last. Dirt and scratches don't happen (I know, Brad, your prints don't have those problems... it's the other 34,000 domestic screens I'm talking about).

And those are my opinions, and not that of Dolby, Dolby, Dolby.

Yours, Ted

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, 3D, while possibly another fad, WILL bring people into theaters, especially for kids movies. We might not want to see Chicken Little (or most other animated features designed for kids), but families DO and the 3D gimmick will get them into the theaters more often than "waiting" for the DVD release.

As far as digital cinema is concerned, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm always going to feel that 35mm (or 70mm) is the only "real" medium. (I still have all my vinyl albums.) On the other, digital presentation and storage does have many advantages and film is 19th century technology. I swore I would never go 35mm digital until the cameras offered were at least 12MP and priced close to my film body, but I went digital a year ago and the truth is that I never pick up my film body anymore. I just carry it around as a backup if I'm shooting for others in case the digital body fails.

The digital presentations that I've seen so far, even though only 2K, have mostly been quite good. Some have looked slightly worse than film in terms of black levels, but in every other respect were superior. I have not seen the pixilation that many here have written about. And while it's true that digital will supposedly look good "forever", I think that's actually somewhat less of an issue for theaters since these days, the studios only care about opening weekend anyway.

Personally, I think the industry should wait for 4K.

History shows us that theatre owners have ALWAYS resisted technical changes. In the 1950s, although they installed Cinemascope screens, few theaters aside from the roadshow houses installed magnetic stereo. In spite of the fact that in the 1970s and 80s, theaters with 70mm installations far outgrossed 35mm theaters, most owners still resisted installing 70mm 6-track. Digital sound has been around for 12 years and there are STILL many theaters that haven't installed it or have implemented such a lousy B-chain, that you can't tell it's digital anyway.

While I understand resistance based on the fact that the studios need to share cost savings with the theaters and I also understand specific legit, technical and aesthetic objections, many of the general objections I read on this Board seem to not be based on facts, but completely on emotion (and the strange desire to be negative and wise-ass about just about everything.)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-01-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well said, Martin. Amen.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the way digital should be going! It's a new medium which should be exploited for all it's worth and - which is not often said - it's a wonderful engineering achievement too.

Using digital as a replacement for 35mm to save on print costs is an extremely limited approach...like asking a great artist to forsake oils and start using an airbrush because it's cheaper, when the airbrush could be used to create other types of fantastic art instead.

This must be really welcomed, just as film continues to give us rich, natural and compelling images (what about the stunning work Janusz Kaminski has just done on War of the Worlds ?).

Well done to all involved - look forward to seeing it when it comes out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: