Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kollmorgen reversable anamorphic lens ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kollmorgen reversable anamorphic lens ?
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 03:07 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok dumb question time.
What would you use one of these for.
I see these on Ebay once in a while and can never figure out a use for it.

-

[ 01-20-2010, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reversible Anamorphic lenses are for theatres that need to shrink the top/bottom rather than expand the sides to uncompress the anamorphic squeeze.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-30-2005 03:23 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, just what Mitchell said. They were usually used at drive-ins because of the long throws. If you needed a 9 inch focal length lens (not too common) you'd put the adapter in the 'reverse' direction, and attach a more commonly available 4.5 inch lens.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I understand so it is still giving you a scope ratio but maintaining the original width. That makes sense.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-30-2005 04:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually...one needs to know the Kollmorgen lens line a bit...the lens shown there is a prime lens of about 6" and the KA-299 anamorphic. In the configuration shown...it is actually working like a normal anamorphic...if it was oriented like a conventional anamorphic of today, it would be working as a reverse.

This was Kollmorgen's answer for a 4" anamorphic lens since 4" primes worked with it. Since in a drive-in one would want long lenses, a reverse anamorphic with a large exit would be normal. So, one could have a 6" prime with the KA-299 and have an EF of 12" yet not be constrained by the light of a little 2-25/32 lens diameter.

The lens has two sets of distance markings. The "Ordinary" lines are in red and the "reversed" lines are in black.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The KA299 was also never a lens that had even decent resolutuion. If that was a Schneider or ISCO reverse anamorphic then you could actually obtain superior resolution over using a standard a 2X anamorphic under the right conditions because there is less squeeze (unsqueeze or anamorphic gain) ground into the lens. The result is less barrel distortion and alot less residual astigmatism.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-30-2005 08:32 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said. This particular attachment is "built" in the reverse direction.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2005 05:41 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That lens was not actually built by Kollmorgen but by Kasaka of Japan. It and the KA298 were the beginnings of Kollmorgen and eventually Schneider's less than thrilling anamorphics.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-19-2010 10:18 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1663 days since the last post.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2010 10:18 PM      Profile for Xavian-Anderson Macpherson   Email Xavian-Anderson Macpherson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies to everyone who reads this. I know this is a very old thread. But I need information desperately. I just received one of these today from eBay. I had the crazy idea that maybe the Kollmorgen could be converted. At least, I wanted to play around with it. I have the large 4" 101.6mm KA299. I'm not interested in using it for anything else other than experimentation. So I want to know how to take the thing apart. It seems some of you here are very experienced with this lens. So I hope someone will respond to this and answer my questions.

If I should have started a new post, let me know.

ShingoshiDao

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 10:53 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was installing a drive-in one time and the reverse anamorphic was damaged in shipment and there was no way to get it replaced in time for the advertized opening. However, there was an old regular anamorphic laying around from some used equipment that was purchased. We fashioned a piece of sheet metal and pipe collars to hold the anamorphic onto the front of the century sa backwards and installed the prime lens in the regular lens collar.

Now I know what you must be saying but beleive it or not once everything was aligned it actually looked decent. A lot better than I thought it would. I figured it would barely get them through as not opening was not an option (the owners entire life savings was invested in this project) but it actually worked out well.

Now the good thing was both films being shown for this double feature were scope so they did not have to take the lens off.

I wouldn't beleive it if I hadn't done it myself! [Wink]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-20-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, I have done a similar "Rube Goldberg" thing to get an integrated 16mm anamorphic to fit my Kinotons...I wrapped the barrel of the lens with scrap film to make it fit in the holder!!

It worked quite well.

I now have the machine shop equipment to fabricate a proper aluminum adapter collar.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dismantling a B&L scope lens is detailed below and the Kollmorgen may be the same...

To disnmantle a B&L lens unscrew the front locking ring all the way. Then unscrew the focus ring in the opposite direction until it falls off. Under that you'll find slots with dogs in them. Loosen the screws in those dogs and the front element group can be pulled out in it's metal tube. Rermoving the lenses will require special spanner wrenches tor emove the actual threaded rings holding those in. Those spanner wrenches are very hard to find and you may have to make your own.

Hope this helps...
Mark

Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 06:11 PM      Profile for Xavian-Anderson Macpherson   Email Xavian-Anderson Macpherson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the same thing true for the Kollmorgen-Kosaka KA299? I had to soak the threads overnight in WD-40 to get the locking collar to move. Once I did that, I was indeed able to remove it. The focusing ring took a bit longer to get free. But it seems to stop at the bottom of it's adjustment. I will have to try this again, and see if it applies. But if the lenses are different, the Kollmorgen may not disassemble the same way.

When looking inside of the lens, I could see the dogs you mentioned here. There's an independently rotating ring for the scale which moves somewhat freely. But the focusing ring does not come off. I suspected that it should. So I'm happy to hear that my assumption was correct.

I will be supplying photos of the lens as I advance through this.

ShingoshiDao

Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2010 06:33 AM      Profile for Xavian-Anderson Macpherson   Email Xavian-Anderson Macpherson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
needs to read the rules and FAQ.

[ 01-21-2010, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: