Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Who has had a fire somewhere in their projector? -> OT: Voltage around the world (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Who has had a fire somewhere in their projector? -> OT: Voltage around the world
Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]
Last week I had a bulb that for some reason wouldn't ignite. For an hour I spent troubleshooting it, on and off the phone with the tech. Till the manual button was turned on and I leaned against the backdoor, it struck. Problem though, was there was an extremely bad flicker. It was running at almost 30 amps less then is should. So the tech informed me I will have to change out the diodes in the rectifier...

So I went in the next morning (a little later than I wanted to as I closed the night before) to change them out before our first show... Kiddie film: "Shrek 2," which I knew they would not sit through that bad flicker. So the tech informed me the night before there is a small arrow somewhere near the threads of the diodes.... Now apparently these are foriegn made as the 'arrow' did not look like the typical arrow. I couldn't figure it out so I ended up putting some in the wrong way only to find an electrical smell when trying to get the lamp to strike. Shut the projector down again, and put them in the correct direction. This time I neglected to see one wire that was to be connected to the bottom set of diodes where the other two didn't have but the two currents connecting. Small fire started when trying to get the lamp to strike. Shut the projector off again. Attached the wire. Lamp struck. Thought all was good til another manager arrive to assist me. He was the one who found a burnt wire, which was not the one I had forgotten to connect. He then attempted to fix that. Another fire started... This one was a little fun as we shut everything down and opened the back door to it still on fire!

So we ended up taking that piece out of another projector to get that one working. Of course this was our largest house! There was no way we could salvage the part due to the fire melting the tiny board the wires were attached to. The next day the part arrived so we could get the other projector up and running. When the tech called to find out if it had arrived, he asked if I put it in yet. I told him I didn't want to end up causing another fire and destroying that part, again. He chuckled and told another projectionist, who is a friend of mine, I didn't want to start another fire...

We have everything working properly now.

I was just curious how many other projectionists out there have had small fires somewhere in their projectors??? [Roll Eyes]

[ 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 10:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For something like this why didn't your tech come out in the first place to troubleshoot & confirm bad diodes? If there was a bad diode(s) then then tech should change them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to wonder after reading that story if there is even a tech in her area......

Ken is right about having a qualified tech change out the diodes. Not only can they be over tightened(at both ends!) but most that are not familiar with the procedure seem to ignore correct application of heat sink compound.

Mark

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read this a couple of times, and am not sure what to think now. A big part of me wants to think that it's a joke. Sureley no one would attempt this without knowing what they're doing, would they?

THE FACT THAT YOU KNOW WHICH END OF A SCREWDRIVER TO HOLD DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO USE IT!

If this is not a joke, and IF the tech didn't know Olivia personally, they should have been at least able to feel out the technical abilities of the operator here and determined that this is obviously the WRONG person for the job.

I may not be the right person to say this but, given what you've posted Olivia, its obvious that you were in over your head, and have cost your theatre much more money in repairs than was probably necessary. IF you got it to light with the diodes in wrong, you've probably taken hours off the bulbs life, if not screwed it completely.

I don't want to seem like a hardass, but unfortunately I see this all the time. People with a little knowledge doing dumb things and blowing stuff up. I do acknowledge that I have no idea of your projection or technical skills - I'm sure you're a very competent operator, but if you don't know what you're doing DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!
You could really hurt yourself. Not to mention the equipment.

As to the topic, yes, In my 20 years as a tech, I've seen all kinds of things catch fire in the booth. Crown amps... Ashly amps... Strong switching rectifiers... Kinoton ignitors...Cinemeccanica ignitors...Speco platters...etc.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-30-2005 08:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia, Do you work at a Regal? Where does your service tech work out of? I'm gonna guess Portland.

It's great to be enthusiastic and willing to go the extra mile. But this whole story sounds like the setup for a costly disaster.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 09:28 PM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am qualified to do diodes (level four) and the tech is out of Salem. Yes, David, I am from a Regal. The tech was in Portland opening the Bridgeport when this happened and was the one who instructed me to do the diodes. I just have never done them before as I have only been certified level four for a few months and before we didn't have any go out.

As to you, Rick, I am rather offended you assume a lot of [bs] about me. Don't you remember when you first were learning, you didn't know everything either, did you? I learned what I did wrong and it won't happen again. My tech wasn't even upset about the fire as [bs] happens! Oh, and the bulb struck after I had corrected the direction of the diodes, FYI!

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did in fact NOT assume a lot of [bs] about you.

The wording of your post did indicate that you are obviously inexperienced, and I felt compelled to post. It is frustrating to hear of this happening. I will be the first to admit that shit does happen. A lot. But I was concerned that perhaps someone who hasn't been trained on the proper troubleshooting and repair of xenon powersupplies was doing so.
You say you are "qualified to do diodes (level four)". Well, good. Not sure what this means. Did you have a multimeter to check the diodes? Have you had any formal electrical theory training?

I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way. As I said, I'm sure you're a fine operator, but I see this far too much. but if you've done any lurking on this site at all, you'll learn that people in this industry can be very passionate about their profession.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-30-2005 10:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone was trying to pick on you Olivia. It was more an honest concern for your own safety. [Big Grin]

Is this the same tech that services Eugene? He's doing a pretty good job keeping Cinema World 8 going. [thumbsup]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-30-2005 11:49 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Olivia should be applauded for the honesty with which she tells the story.
It is not really her fault that she is expected to perform this kind of operation with minimal training and apparently not the right equipment.
I never expect or allow any of our people to work inside the power supply. Just the regular phone troubleshooting stuff - "triplecheck the breakers", "is the green light on", "are the fans running", "does it click in the bottom of the console", etc. When it becomes apparent that some work on the actual power supply is necessary, I always do it myself or call in an outside technician.

On the other hand, after step 1, she should have left the thing alone and waited for the technician, even though it did work in the end. When stuff starts smelling bad or burning, it is usually time for more in-depth anaylsis. That there was not more damage in this case is mostly luck.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
I don't think anyone was trying to pick on you Olivia. It was more an honest concern for your own safety.
That statement is very true and exactly what I was thinking. Chains seem to have little to no concern for an employees safety, or their customers by allowing employees with little to no training to do repairs of that type. No matter what "Level" you are at 3 phase can still kill you, single phase too for that matter. One of the chains we service does not have "Levels" so apparently they realize that anyone can be killed [Wink] . They don't change diodes... they call us.... and every once in a while I get to visit Lake Powell as a result [Smile] .

Be Careful and live long!

Mark @ CLACO

P.S. In 25 years of doing this I have had very FEW things catch on fire on a booth. One Kneisley rectifier, one QSC amp, and many Essanay changover coils.... the latter being one of the more dangerous things in a booth IMHO, thats about it!

[ 07-01-2005, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-01-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a diode lead smoke and melt down, merely because the diode shorted. we upgraded the diodes and havent had a problem since [Big Grin]

JJ

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 01:05 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I AM young and inexperienced in some areas but I am not stupid. I did know, when I started the work, to have the current going in the correct direction. I blame impatientness and not a lot of sleep: only 3-4 hours! I will admit I didn't first inspect the diodes close enough and that is how I messed up. I do learn from my mistakes--isn't that what educates us?! [Wink]

If I had more motivation when I was younger, I probably would have gone to ITT Tech. Oh well.

I too have passion for my work. Too many times I want to strangle a few people. [Roll Eyes] I take it too personally when a print gets scratched. We had a really good record for a long time then we had some people *uck up royally!!!

David, yes, our tech is the same for Eugene. He is the tech for Idaho as well, and Alaska.

He [the tech] did instructed me on how to do the diodes. I just didn't pay close enough attention when actually working on them. Our cordless phone sucks near the projectors.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-01-2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a multimeter in the location? I don't pay much attention to what it says on the diodes about the direction, I always test them. Yes, I have seen mislabelled ones.

It is never too late to go back to school if you desire to improve your knowledge and skills.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 01:58 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious; is it unusual for day to day operators to do things like change diodes? Do large chains (and even independent theatres) usually call a technician to do this?

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Emma Tomiak
it unusual for day to day operators to do things like change diodes? Do large chains (and even independent theatres) usually call a technician to do this?
Yes, it depends on who the operator is. I am the booth manager's right hand and she had just gotten back in town from being at other theatres, with a cold. So I did not want to disturb her. If I wasn't there I would have probably been called about it any ways to try to fix it. Most managers there are either not qualified or do not do that sort of work. There is only 3 of us there that do, out of twelve managers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: