Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rectifier buzzing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rectifier buzzing
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 500w rectifier has always made a loud buzzing noise when the lamp is ignited. it has always done this and it does get quieter the longer the lamp is on.

What would cause this and what components would be causing the buzz?

Unfortunately I can't tell you which recitifer it is because it isn't marked up in any way.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-29-2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The transformer itself usually is what buzzes. Most transformers are made of lots of steel E plates stacked up and the alternating magnetic field makes them vibrate. Dipping the thing in tar or attaching bolts and clamps is the normal factory solution, this is hard to do in the field. An SCR controlled rectifier is usually more buzzy because of the current spikes developed, but passive rectifiers do it too.
Open the case (main power feeds OFF!!) and see if there are bolts or clamps on the transformers that you could tighten. You can drive wooden wedges into the frames of some transformers to tighten the plates too. Irem rectifiers in particular have clamping screws to reduce buzzing.
It may even be some loose sheet metal panels inside that are rattling.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
You can drive wooden wedges into the frames of some transformers to tighten the plates too.
This is true but you mist forst determine if its the laminations of the frame that are buzzing or if the actual core is loose in the frame and causing the problem. The latter is VERY common in older 68000 series Strong rectifiers and in Christies on occasion. Determining which it is regquires probing with an insulated tool whilst the rectifier is operating. Ten poking and prodding at the laminatiions and or the core to see what quiets it down. Then appropriate measures can be taken. Loose laminations can sometimes be kept quiet with siome silicon seal applied in between the loose layers. Cores can be quited down by pounding in a wooden wedge very carefully to tighten it up gainst the frame. Great care must be taken and all standard electrical precautions need be adheared to!!

Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 10:32 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the contactor coil can get noisy too.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-30-2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wooden Wedges", eh?
When I had that happen with one of those old Strong 4kW supplies, the guy I bought it from suggested I push popsicle sticks between the laminations. I put up with the buzzing for 2 more weeks... not believing such a procedure could possibly work.

but... it did.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2005 07:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Layton
Sometimes the contactor coil can get noisy too.

Especially where it is damp and the ends of the contactor pole pieces get corroded..... these will buzz REALLY LOUD! For what ever reason I've experienced this alot on Irem rectifiers.

quote: Jack Ondracek
the guy I bought it from suggested I push popsicle sticks between the laminations. I put up with the buzzing for 2 more weeks... not believing such a procedure could possibly work.

but... it did.

What flavor did you use and how did the flavor affect the level of the buzz... or should I say what flavor gave the lest buzz? Now I do know that if you get too much flavor it will actually increase the buzz....... especially alot of that chocolate flavor.

Mark

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 08:47 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to be carefull not going too far too fast with the adjustments on a Kneisley rectifier transformer or similar model. I've seen more than once a rectifier that had happily buzzed for years go up in smoke because someone learned what those bolts do and overdid it.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-30-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
What flavor did you use and how did the flavor affect the level of the buzz...
Nahhh... you've got to lick 'em down to nothing first [Razz]

The real trick is to make sure they're very dry before using them. The first one darn near zapped my hair straight !!! [Big Grin]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mathew,
You failed to mention the rectifier model. Is it an Irem? If it is an Irem there are some adjustment screws inside which you can adjust to eliminate buzzing.
D

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going on service call soon for a buzzing Christie CC10. I'll try poking it with a wooden dowel rod to see if I can track down the loose laminated plates. If I find loose plates, I'll try to wedge some wood in to minimize the vibrations. Or, like Mark said, I can use some silicon seal.

Anybody have any other suggestions for this model?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-05-2006 11:56 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dip the whole thing in tar? [Eek!]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2006 07:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most buzzing christies that I have seen (a fair number) have loose laminations. Locating them and then spreading them apart and applying a little silicon to stop the buzzing has worked for me a number of times. This de-lamination of the plates usually occurs at one of the upper corners of the transformer block. If its not due to loose laminations then get yourself some oak wedges at the lumber yard to use between the windings and the steel core. Sometimes it cannot be made quiet...

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-06-2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "tar" is insulating varnish....recently upgraded a 30 year old IREM up to almost good as new...the lamphouse was restored from hurricane water damage but the projector is another story [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-08-2006 10:06 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Putting real "tar" or asphalt on the windings of a transformer would create a fire hazard. [Eek!] Some can run quite hot.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help. I made the service call and was able to locate two different areas of loose laminated plates by poking around with a dowel rod. I then had to move some assemblies out of the way to get access to the plates. Afterwhich, I used silicone seal injection under the plate edges as best I could. I followed this up with some wooden blocks which keep pressure on the potentially loose plates. The rectifier runs as silent as a kitten now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: