Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Cat 701 Question

Author Topic: Dolby Cat 701 Question
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2005 08:17 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We may have gone through this before, but does the LED go dim over time to the point where it needs to be changed. I have one at one theater that has been in use for six years. It is always kept on. Now all the movies that run, even the new prints, will not hold better than 7 or 8 on the error readout. Also bounces back to F to the point where it will not play digital. It does the same thing with brand new test film. I did not have the scope with me at the time to check it out.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-28-2005 08:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Yes, the LED slowly fades out.
2. Dirt, smudges on lens and LED may be a factor.
3. Anything mechanical that causes wow/flutter, bad sprocket will cause faults.

LED most likely due to time involved. (If possible, power the 701 off of the motor circuit so it does not run except during the actual show.)
Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2005 09:07 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Louis,
I did clean the lens and led. I ran new film to test with. Everything ran smoothly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

The LED current can be adjusted inside of the 701 to compensate for LED fade. If this has been running a long time then having it tweeked for correct video level is a good idea. I can guarantee you that video level will be low! Cleaning the lens and optics may get you by and gain you just enough extra video level to be able to decode, but not for long. I had a customer that had turned his voltage level up too high for what ever dum reason and this also caused the input opf the Video card to bury the datalevel into the pedestal causing a constant F reading. The adjustment is simple but a scope is necessary for this!!

Mark

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2005 09:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. I thought there might be voltage adjustment. I'll bring the scope and try it. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally, if you ever replace the LED, remember to turn the current back down in order to preserve it's life expectancy. Incidentally, you can RXO the LED / heat sink assembly. It is Dolby part number 83308. If it has been in service for six years, you are fortunate that it's still produce enough video amplitude.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 07:00 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick note. I raised the LED output level slightly and the error rate dropped from 7 to 3. It plays perfectly now. I will just have to lower the LED level whenever I change the LED. Thanks again everyone. [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-11-2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI in the simplest terminology that I can explain here...

Although you probably greatly improved the calibration of that reader by upping the led output to the point where a "7" print is now tracking at a "3", you could've also been running a bit of a "dark" SRD track at the time and as such "lighter" tracks will now F due to having too much light shining through the track. Make sense?

Of course if it's been running for 6 years, maxing it out is honestly probably what needs to happen to achieve level as close as possible to ideal. [Wink]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does make sense, Brad. This has been happening over the last few months with many prints. They just don't tell me things that are going wrong until much later than they should. I did not have to max out the adjustment, either. Just a little bit of gain did the trick.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2005 03:14 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings to you all

Louis is indeed correct. Hello Louis - good to hear from you and hope you are well. We met many years ago at ShoWest! Hope you still have your aeroplane for emergency call outs!!

All the projectors that I have ever researched here in Cambridge have been modified to switch on the LED array with the commencement of the motor. I have calculated that one will obtain many additional months life from an LED switched in this manner, unless of course the theatre is running continuos performances, as occurred here in the UK in the '40's and 50's.

From Cambridge,

Goodnight

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-12-2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Although you probably greatly improved the calibration of that reader by upping the led output to the point where a "7" print is now tracking at a "3", you could've also been running a bit of a "dark" SRD track at the time and as such "lighter" tracks will now F due to having too much light shining through the track. Make sense?

Actually what happens is thhe equivelent of having a tv camera iris too far open. You actually overload the video stages at some point in the chain. I'm not sure if it occurs in the camera or on the video input card itself... doesn't matter much though..... you still need a scope to properly set it up.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: