Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Odd Messages in Film Cans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Odd Messages in Film Cans
Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2005 04:24 AM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love surprises. But when I open a film can and see written in black marker:
"Help me!! I'm lost in a film distro werehouse!"

Then under it in red marker:
"Don't MOVE! Help is on the way!"

I can't help but laugh.
I was reminded of that message when I popped open a can with Mr. & Mrs. Smith this last Thurs and saw again written in black marker:
"AMC sucks ass!"
and in smaller writing underneath:
"Who's the idiot that hired you?"

Anyone else find cryptic writtings inside film cans?

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2005 08:05 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, I received a print of "Dagora, The Space Monster." The can was labeled "Dagnabbit, the Space Rabbit." Inside the can, someone had written: I sat thru this print for 2 weeks. Sorry if you have to do the same.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2005 09:49 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually write in all the cans that I have a movie in that I've either tore down or built.

I usually draw a crappy looking robot and date it. Once, I put my old email address and someone from a theater in Indiana emailed me back.

Funny note, when we got Lords of Dogtown last week, it came in a canister with one of my robots in it and was dated 3/04. Small world.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a print once where someone wrote inside the cans, "Hey, Technicolor, you cheap bastards, send us some decent friggin' reels next time!!"

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2005 11:33 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long ago, I got a reel (I think reel IV) where someone left a wearning "ATTENTION THIS REEL IS TAIL UP!"
In fact the reel was head up...

Someone might not be able to differ between head and tail or something?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sacbs suck!"

Underneat that was written:

"Only if you pick them!"

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-15-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember, with the 10 inch cans that the cartoons came in that all of us would write in those cans were we were at and date when we wrote the notes inside. Kinda like a "travelling address book" and a history book at the same time.

Then we would write our local numbers in these cans as well.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-15-2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote SPLIT REELS SUCK! in quite a few cans during TES's black-reel days.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-15-2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen "SAVE COPPER DRIPPINGS" [for the Will Rogers Foundation] stickers occasionally, as well as union stickers ("call for competent projectionists" or "vote ____ for business agent").

Otherwise, it's been pretty boring--not much more than theatre names and dates. Prints that go on the festival circuit often have inspection reports from various festivals ("Hill Top Productions" is a popular one--they have swanky multipart carbonless forms), and sometimes include festival programs as well. I will often stick my own inspection reports in between the film and the flange of the first reel, or throw them in the can for R1 when the print ships on cores.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Sacbs suck!"

Underneat that was written:

"Only if you pick them!"

Holy Cow... I have seen that one too!

I also remember seeing an unused band-aid in a can. Im not sure if that was accidental or fore-shadowing because I cut myself on the second can when I tried to open it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2005 11:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was probably the same can! [Big Grin]

The damn thing looked like it was older than Moses!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 01:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I've seen "SAVE COPPER DRIPPINGS"....
I managed to save a few of these copper labels in the cans, For during WW-2, the copper on the carbons was thinner than the standard thickness. Plus, any metal during the war was recyclable, and copper was the most valuable metal. Lot of these labels were designated for the war effort.

Now, what's really rare nowdays to see is the yellow diamond on the side of the cans with the black words "CAUTION" - meaning that this can contained nitrate film. When safety started to come out, there were also a label mentioning the contents of safety film.

Then FOX had their labels as well for magnetic only and magnetic/optical "narrow sprocket" (fox-sprocket) 35mm film.

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 02:12 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Please return your dts discs"
underneath that:
"Fuck you"

"Please return your dts discs"
underneath that:
"Only if you return my soul"

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 09:43 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my fellow employees reminded me of one that we got about 2 years ago, it read; "Do you like boobs alot?"

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-16-2005 03:07 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd see the occasional:
  • Walsh IA President
...and then there was one I used to see a LOT of:
  • Who is this guy, Billy Arden?
Nope, never found out who he was, but he must have stamped cans in the midwest for 50 years.
My brother and I each had rubber stamps made with our names and theatres on them:
  • Robert Reed
    Sky-Vue Drive-In Theatre
    Winchester, KY
  • Timothy Reed
    Kentucky Theatre
    Lexington, KY
For many years, we stamped every can we got - cartoons and all. I doubt if any of those old cans are still out there (pre-TES and pre-plastic,) but you never know.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: