Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CYAN Finally breaking through (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: CYAN Finally breaking through
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 02:14 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just in my country or is CYAN soundtracks finally making the breakthrough that was going on for the past years? So far in Cyprus counting - Winie The Pooh (latest) , The Pacifier, War Of The Worlds (not out yet but as per company's information), Batman Begins (not out yet but as per company's information). Anyone else spoted any titles that are completely Cyan? I have arranged to convert almost any cinema in Cyprus with the best of results thanks to a certain company's Basement Readers which are absolutely amazing.
D

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Madagascar print is cyan. I thought Dreamworks had converted 100%. Not true?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-13-2005 01:33 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most recent word from Dreamworks:

http://www.dyetracks.org/DreamWorksCanFlyer.pdf

The can flyer sent with Dreamworks "Surviving Christmas" noted the majority of prints produced were cyan tracks, but there were still some silver+dye tracks included "at random". The flyer noted this would continue from October 22nd 2004 onward.

(Note that "Mixed Inventory" is being used by some distributors so that after the first run, the silver+dye prints can be culled and sent to territories that still have a high percentage of old tungsten "white light" readers.)

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 01:40 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been my experience that DW is 100% Cyan recently. We did not play Surviving Christmas, but for The Ring 2 and Madagascar each of my prints (2 of each) were cyan.

Buena Vista & Miramax appear to be 100% Cyan as well ... The Pacifier, Sin City, Hostage, Darkness were all cyan.

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney, DreamWorks and Miramax are 100% cyan ("Madagascar" was DreamWorks first 100% cyan pic, but thay have been big supporters of the program since day 1 with "Anything Else". Sony is going to continue with MGM's titles being cyan, even though they are releaseing them from here on out. New Line has a title they are considering in the next few months, and there are three other major studios that may do a test release before declaring an all out change as well.

Hopefully, by ShowEast we'll have some significant news on cyan adoption... but it's moving forward.

Yours, Ted

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-30-2005 07:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, mine.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a good laugh yesterday when I was calling to make appointments for my next service round.... that starts after the 4th..... only to find that a Drive Inn owner up north who has procrastinated way too long and has found out that he has a cyan print comming in tommrrow and no way in hell will I give up my 4th of July weekend.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-01-2005 03:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL...I just got a BACP analogue reader installed at a drive-in just in time in my area before I hit the holiday wknd.

Course, they "paid the piper" with bad sound last week with a Dreamworks feature with cyan soundtrack running through an exciter lamp setup - yukky noisy sound..

-Monte

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 04:59 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here in Sweden.

The Pacifier was first Cyan we received, Sin City 2nd.
- A Black and White movie with cyan track [Wink]

(War of the Worlds was not cyan).

Pär

Steph. Gadroy
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Steph. Gadroy   Author's Homepage   Email Steph. Gadroy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The firsts movies in France:
"Pooh's heffalamp movie", "The bridge of San luis Rey", "The Pacifier", "Madagascar" and recently some "Mr & Mrs Smith" trailers.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2005 11:29 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

You mean the projectors don't use the traditional exciter lamps anymore? Just before I left the theatre industy it 1998 they had just come out with a red laser devise that duplicates what the old exciter lamps did. I guess I've been away too long.

Mike

Donny Miner
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Donny Miner   Author's Homepage   Email Donny Miner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else received BEWITCHED with the 1st reel only being CYAN? I thought it was kind of odd... Why would they have both cyan and magenta?

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2005 06:57 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Donnie-

I had two prints of Bewitched, and one of them had the 5th reel cyan, the rest magenta.

Now, where are the rest of these cyan reels? [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-04-2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just installed the Wassman Reverse Scan kit on the eurokino35/70 machine in Elora Ontario that was caught delaying converting to red led. Interesting was that it used a conventional 3.5mm diameter LED as the light source not the standard array from Dolby
The unit worked well with lower film dirt noise than other units

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a test by Sony. They decided to do a small batch, approximately 500 prints, of the Bewitched release in cyan. I didn't know that prints would be mixed...? That is very interesting.

If this test went well, and I'm meeting with them this month to discuss the results, we may see another major studio geting behind this evironmentally-friendly, new technology.

Yours, Ted

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: