Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Water circulator alert (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Water circulator alert
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using Strong water circulators with Kinoton projectors. Before I go any farther, yes I know..."never buy anything from Wrong International". Given the price of the Kinoton circulators, I figured that since the Strong units are just a freakin' bucket and pump that even Strong couldn't screw that up. What a mistake that was! [Mad]

So anyway even though these Strong circulators are only a few months old, I have already had 2 failures between 12 brand new units!

The question now is has anyone devised some sort of failsafe alert for a water circulator that stops pumping? I am open to all ideas, as a 1 in 6 failure rate is pathetic...and they are still NEW!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-27-2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
..."never buy anything from Wrong International".

Yes a Weak Company for sure......

We build our own circulators for ALOT less than even the Kinoton costs you. We use an excellent pump, a heat exchanger with fan on a 15 gallon blue PVC tank. This keeps the gates at about what ever the room temperature is plus a little. There are photos someplace on this site of them.

I suggest that you build our own, servicing down the road would also be ALOT easier and faster but none have failed so far. If you need a parts list just call.

There are water pressure switches available from Graingers that will work for this application. The DP-70's originally came from the factory with a water pressure switch built into the base. It was far more critical in the days of Carbon Arc and Silver Jaws.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you recommend a specific one from Grainger so I can see exactly what you are referring to? I assume it is nothing more than a make or break circuit?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-27-2005 08:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I will look and see later tonight..... someone else may beat me to it. Yes, It was a DPST unit as I remember. We considered it but the pumps we use have yet to fail and there is so little evaporation.

Found three that would work depending on the static water pressure......

Pressure Switch 1
Switch 2 Switch 3

Mark

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I have a Strong water circulator for a Simplex Millennium projector with a 4K lamp that has been in use for five years with no problems. (Knock on wood).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-27-2005 10:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Udovich
I have a Strong water circulator for a Simplex Millennium projector with a 4K lamp that has been in use for five years with no problems. (Knock on wood).

I think you meant to say "Knock On Strong".....Water circulator it is but cool the water it does not. The water gets hotter and hotter it does.

Mark

Steven C Y Chan
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2005 11:10 PM      Profile for Steven C Y Chan   Author's Homepage   Email Steven C Y Chan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we had put one waterproof microswitch with a metal plate wedding on it, (just like the air-ven safety), we cut the return water tube a little bit so it is rise from water level, when the pump is working, the water falls on the plate and keep it on, if it is off, it short and start a alram. These is what we had done before.....we now using 2 from strong and one from local, which with a UK pump, only things is the water inside turn milkly and frog in the strong one. All we using still haven't fault before. (but only 2 years). touch wood [Big Grin]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 05:02 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agrreed, we've seen a lot of failures of the pumps used in the Strong coolers. However it's easily fixed by visiting the DIY warehouse that is inevitably situated alongside modern multiplex cinemas, and getting a garden pond pump of suitable capacity. All the ones I've replaced with pumps from B&W have run fine since.

As said above you can easily make them yourself using a big bucket, pump and hose from the DIY places.

Flow sensors are available from suppliers in the UK, Radio Spares have such things, but cheap they are not.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-28-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone considered a gate thermistat/alarm circuit? I don't know if it would
be practical (I'm curious), but that way your alarm could be based on what you really want to know (is the gate overheating?) instead of one of many possible causes (e.g. pump is working fine but water is too hot).

Why do Strong's circulators fail, anyhow? Duty cycle issues? Heat?

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...find some old Motiograph water circulators that plug in the wall and run continually. These work great! Just use distilled water in these can so to keep down the mineral buildup.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-28-2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the problems of the Strong circulator is that the pumps they use depend on the water to cool it...in an outdoor setting...this is quite reasonable...in a theatre...the water is just going to get hotter.

Before Strong aquired Century, they had a decent circulator...it used a TEEL pump that sat outside of the tank...then there was an impeller that stuck down in the tank just below the water line...thus sediment could settle and not be pumped around. We have had very few problems with these, so long as the water is changed every so often (I tend to use straight distilled and change more often, than to put anti-freeze in it and create a water hazard...plus I've never liked the results of antifreeze...it is like trading one problem for another. I know one guy that uses washer fluid. Kinoton has a nifty chemical that has the good properties of anti-freeze (keep bacteria from growing), plus a lubricant for the pump and is clear....hoses stay clear with it (even after years of use). It is freekin expensive though.

Also, Kinoton uses a flow meter on their 35/70 machines...no water flow...no worky projector.

The arrangement they are using now is the Century design.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-28-2005 04:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Wrong International" circulators around here in the Cineplex theatres are all just based on a tank of water and a "Silent Giant" pump..... about as cheap and unreliable as it gets. I wouldn't trust an aquarium full of fish to one of those pumps.

Mark

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We replaced our broken down ones with garden pumps from Home Depot. They were very reasonably priced and we've been running them on six screens for over six months with absolutely no problems.

Dick Twentyman
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2005 04:42 AM      Profile for Dick Twentyman   Email Dick Twentyman       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

In general, using a vane operated flow switch is a safer option than a pressure switch to detect a cooling failure. In the case of a blockage, pressure can still be high but without coolant flow, so the pressure switch thinks that all is well. Some systems I have seen use both flow switch, backed up by a temperature sensor.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2005 03:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of theaters seems to use circulation systems. Is this for
practical reasons instead of connecting to the house water pipes?
Are these units having some kind of cooling system to prevent the
water from getting worm?

Thomas

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: