Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can SDDS still be purchased new? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can SDDS still be purchased new?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 07:57 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a while back reading that Sony will shut down SDDS. If somebody wanted to, can they still buy a new SDDS processor? If not, what is AMC installing now on their new builds?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-21-2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, why would you want to? Its the most unreliable of all of them. Track wear can be very high. Those with Sonys are lucky that they still even print it on at least some films. Some parts are also getting hard to get and I know for a fact that the labs would like to remove the equipment from their printers. AMC is installing CP-650s as far as I know.

I always tell my customers with Sonys...... "It sounds great when it works".

If its 8 channel that you're after then go with an XD-10. In the future you might be more likely to see 8 channel DTS releases than SDDS.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2005 10:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark, doesn't the Washoe Theatre in Anaconda have SDDS? I think they are the only location in Montana to have one (at least, the only one I've heard of).

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-21-2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
I remember a while back reading that Sony will shut down SDDS. If somebody wanted to, can they still buy a new SDDS processor?
Sony Cinema Proiducts ceased to exist sometime in 2001.

That answers the second part of your question.

SDDS units can still be FIXED however, by Sony Consumer Repair in Fremont CA (awful service, IMO), or (my high recommendation) by Robbie Hidalgo at Cinematech, who also provides awesome customer service and technical support for those of us still stuck with Sony cinema products! [Smile]

-Aaron

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-21-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Those with Sonys are lucky that they still even print it on at least some films.
Make that "nearly all films". If you check the Reel-ID section randomly, you will find that whatever movie you click on, it still has the tracks. Also all movies I randomly checked in the field in the last months had the tracks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-21-2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
You mis-understood me. What I meant was that we are lucky they are still being printed because the labs would rather do away with the SDDS stuff on their printers. Anything that slows them down ys know..... and this one is obsolete to boot. If they had their way we would only be getting SRD and DTS tracks. Quite frankly that wouldbn't bother me one bit either. I will laugh when that day comes along for I have not sold one stinkin Sony system in my career [Big Grin] .

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

When I was projecting it was a mixure of mainstream and art house stuff. I always made a point of looking to see what tracks were on the prints which passed through my hands, even though we were not equipped with any digital system. If we forget about the classic films, which obviously wouldn't have any sort of digital track on them, unless they were new print from a re-recorded negative, I doubt if one film in ten had SDDS, probably more like one in twenty. Even most of the mainstream-ish films, maybe 75%, didn't have it.

I know of very few cinemas over here which were ever equipped for it, and I think I've only ever actually heard it once.

The projectionist at Bradford was quite enthusiastic about it, but few other people seem to be.

Other than eight channels, which most films weren't released with, and most cinemas weren't equipped for, did it have any real advantage over SR-D and DTS? The greater redundency in the recorded data didn't seem to result in greater reliability in the real world.

When released, it was the most expensive system, it was the last of the major systems to be released, by which time both the Dolby and DTS systems were already becomming established. Was there ever really a market for two different digital sound on film systems? It didn't just need to be as good as the competing systems, it needed to offer some real advantages, which I don't think it did. I'm quite surprised that it lasted as long as it did, rather than going the way of the CDS and LC Concepts systems.

If I was a cinema owner, what real reason could you give me why I should install SDDS rather than one of the competing systems?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-21-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SDDS is possibly attractive right now because it's possible to get used equipment really cheap and the US prints of mainstream movies still carry the tracks, at least for the time-being.

They're probably figuring on going with SDDS until they can afford an eventual upgrade once SDDS is finally dead and gone or when these "buy it used" systems burn out, whichever comes first.

Never enough time or money to do it right, but always enough to do it over...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-21-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If not for AMC choosing it, SDDS might just be a footnote in the history of cinema sound now.

Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene has (had? I don't know if they ever use SDDS now) all 3 digital sound formats. I saw Episode 2 there twice, in SDDS and DTS (they opened it in SDDS but it was dropping out at the end of reel 1 so they switched to DTS after the first day). Also LOTR2 and Spider-Man, the latter in SDDS-8. Those SDDS shows were the best-sounding movies I ever experienced. It was probably a setup fluke, but their SDDS sounded audibly better than either DTS or SR-D to me (that is, as Mark would say, "When it worked").

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3000 series worked very well and in my experience where reliable. Jersey Gardens was opened about 4 years ago with them and they all still work.

Bernie

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-21-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie,
I have no quams about the 3000 units either. I've not had to repair a single one of them. The main problem still exists and thats the track susceptability to extremely quick wear(as compared to SRD and DTS) and then not playing back reliably, or at all. How quickly the track becomes non-playable depends on what projector you're running and how well maintained that projector is. Weather you have a 2000 or 3000 unit the track wear problem is there and thats where the real problem lies. Prolonging track life is one place where Film-Guard really shines [thumbsup] . Its just sometimes difficult to convince every SDDS customer to use it.

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-21-2005 09:06 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen - my experience in Germany mirrors your observations. SDDS never really happened on a larger scale in Europe.
As Manny pointed out, most releases in the US do have the tracks on them.
I worked with SDDS a lot and I loved it. It is the only one which sounds noticeably better. There was a time when it could have ruled the cinema audio world because a lot of the earlier bugs still in the 2000 series had been worked out, but then Sony made their historical mistake and dropped the format.
Another problem was that a lot of installers did not understand the system fully. I have often seen improperly installed and aligned systems in the field. Even though SDDS had some really excellent support technicians, they were always spread out too thin. Sony apparently never understood what it takes to establish such a system in the real world of cinema. They could have learned a lot from Dolby and their outstanding support and transparency, but they refused to do so. I mean Sony as a corporation, not the technicians.
The issue of track wear is often misunderstood. True, some projectors were nicer to the tracks than others, and abusive projectors would of course contribute to the problem. The main problem, however, was and still may be bad printing quality. I have seen properly done tracks on prints which were trashed into oblivion, and the SDDS track still played fine with very low error rates.
While the ruggedness of a playback system and its ability to withstand damage are obviously important factors, I have often resisted to accept living with these since those lab problems also affected the visible image quality and the other sound formats as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-21-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
They could have learned a lot from Dolby and their outstanding support and transparency, but they refused to do so. I mean Sony as a corporation, not the technicians.

Actually Sony had to liscense quite a few of Dolbys patents in order to execute SDDS on film. Dolby has most of the patents regarding recording and reading digital data onto and back from film. DTS of course has has a totally different scheme.

Mark

Gregory Brannon
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 10:25 AM      Profile for Gregory Brannon   Email Gregory Brannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if AMC still exclusively use SDDS in their newest theatres?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2006 10:27 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard AMC had gone to all Dolby Digital in the new installs

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: