Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weight of an average film

Author Topic: Weight of an average film
Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This must sound bizarre, but what is the weight of say an average two-hour film? I am writing a report and need an estimate. I’d have taken some scales into the booth and measured, but I’m not working at the moment.

Thanks [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Alex Rolfe
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 10:19 AM      Profile for Alex Rolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Rolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Including metal cans, I'd say around 70 pounds. Most fall between 60 and 75, depending on the length, weight of the cans, and whether the shipping reels are metal or plastic.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 10:19 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around 50 pounds?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-17-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last 7 months (that's how far back my shipping records go) we have shipped 19 prints out of here via UPS. Some in Fox boxes, some in cans. Here are some statistics:

Average weight: 59 lbs
Lowest weight: 42 pounds (that was a Fox box)
Highest: 71 lbs (8 reels in old cans)

Whenever we ship out film in cans, we enclose the cans in a box to avoid the UPS "additional handling" charge. The boxes weigh 2 pounds, so that'll skew the average very slightly.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-17-2005 01:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I ship my prints out, they usually go by Fed-Ex. They are all weighed when the waybill is filled out.

Film in cans, reels and all, usually weighs between 30 and 40 pounds. At two cans per movie, that's 60 to 80 pounds per print.

Extra long movies would obviously be heavier. A print like that, I estimate, would be around 100 pounds.

If I can find the tracking numbers in my records I'll look up a few prints that were shipped out and come back with the weights.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 01:49 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We deliver the films to the UPS terminal. There is no additional handling fee charged to us. The terminal has specific instructions NOT TO ACCEPT film cans WITHOUT a tie wrap fastening the catches so they cannot pop open in shipment. We, therefore, have a supply of electrical tie wraps in the booth to assure the proper closure of the cans.

Our 70mm prints come in single reel Aluminum cases and weigh in at 35 to 40 pounds per case. Most of these are road show prints of 12 to 14 cases. Typical door to door air freight shipping is $500.00 per showing.

KEN

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember how heavy Gods & Generals was?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-17-2005 02:43 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a "rule of thumb", figure just a bit under 5 pounds per 1000 feet of 35mm processed print film. So for a 2-hour print with leaders (about 11,000 feet), the film itself would weigh about 55 pounds.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-17-2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
We deliver the films to the UPS terminal. There is no additional handling fee charged to us.
I'll bet, if you look at your UPS bill, you'll see that they have "corrected" the shipping charge to include that fee. It's $5.00 per piece for anything that's not enclosed in cardboard. ETS ships us our films without the charge, and without fail UPS has added it when we get our bill.

I guess there is always the possibility that your company has negotiated a deal with UPS to eliminate that charge but I've never heard of such a deal.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted due to dead URL

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2005 06:25 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One normal reel = 22 mins = 10 pounds - period !

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2005 06:29 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Period? Many films do not consist entirely of "normal" reels. Reel 5 of "National Treasure" looked to be about ten minutes long, if I remember right.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: