Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are Film-Tech media pad cores smaller?

Author Topic: Are Film-Tech media pad cores smaller?
R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got 4 new boxes of media pads and the cores won't slide onto my Kelmar cleaners. The cores appear to be smaller. Any way to make them work without winding them all onto old cores? Help me Brad! I did a search and found nothing on the issue.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean they won't slide onto your TAKEUP shafts? If they won't fit onto your SUPPLY shafts, then you must have some rust buildup on them or something. If they don't slide onto your takeup shafts, your rubber inserts have worn to the point of needing to be replaced. They're really cheap though...time to order some replacements.

The newer cores that have the imprinted "Film-Tech" into the sides have just a TAD bit smaller inner diameter, which helps keep the media running straight during shows.

By the way, as it says in the FilmGuard instructions, never remove those cores. Just loosen the thumbscrews and yank the media off. It will make your rubber inserts last a lot longer and you don't risk losing crucial parts on the takeup shafts. [Wink]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 01:24 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
If they don't slide onto your takeup shafts, your rubber inserts have worn to the point of needing to be replaced. They're really cheap though...time to order some replacements.
Not necessarily... I ordered brand new rubber bits from Kelmar for my cleaner, the new cores don't fit on them, so I just keep my old style cores on the takeup. Kelmar must be having some quality control issues. [uhoh]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 03:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, and I've seen that before on some media pads cardboard cores where they have a hard time slipping over the "expansion rubber" cores on the spindles, so I just rolled the media from the cardboard cores onto the plastic ones(which I cut down to fit a feature, and thus let me really get the media soaked with FG), and called it that.

- and this was back in 2001-2..last years with my tenure with Edwards.

-Monte

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-04-2008 08:50 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1177 days since the last post.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2008 08:50 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the issue here if the rubbers are new?

We just bought a brand new Kelmar cleaner, some FT pads and FG (first time in this chain with FG!) and have found that the take-up cores are so tight it's difficult to rewind.

I haven't looked at it myself yet but the projectionist (with previous FG usage experience) is one that I trust. I can't imagine he's doing anything wrong with it.

Ideas?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-04-2008 09:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
?, do the rubber inserts go into the cardboard cores by themselves without being on the cleaner rewind spindles ?

..sounds a bit that they're still a bit compressed....

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-04-2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are plastic cores available? The box of media comes with a few extra cores, but once you use Film-Guard on them, it's difficult to reuse them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2008 09:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can send you a couple of the older style cores which were larger, but generally people found they were TOO large.

It sounds to me like you received defective sized rubber inserts. You should order the ones from Cardinal Sound, as they are superior to the ones from Kelmar.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've literally had to sand down the Kelmar rubbers before to make them smaller, rubbing them across sandpaper on all sides. I also clipped them so they were a bit shorter.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2008 10:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd. Usually I find Kelmar cuts them too short from the factory.

Craig Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 10:21 AM      Profile for Craig Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Dunn       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing with this for several months now. Take a pair of Film-tech plastic cores using a rotor tool cut out 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the circumference. Then snap over media directly on spool, tighten screws. Replace when you must tighten screws fully next step is slippage. Be certain to sand smooth the cut edges.

Craig Dunn

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 09:27 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got some new Kelmar rubbers, and they are too long but the width is just right. Also, Brad, my media pads that came in a couple weeks ago are on old style cores, and I was curious as to that. It isn't a problem, it's just something I noticed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2008 12:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It must've been some really old stock that didn't get rotated out by a dealer. Hang onto the cores, as if you get into that bind where your rubber inserts are too fat you can go to those for takeup.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 12:56 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that the new cores were intentionally made smaller, but noticed right away when I got them.

I was putting a couple pieces of film between the core and the cleaner spool. After some cut-and-try, I found a combination that kept enough back tension on the media.

Don't have to do that now! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: