Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about lenses (Ever gotten Filmguard inside of one?)

Author Topic: Question about lenses (Ever gotten Filmguard inside of one?)
Chad Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2005 01:24 AM      Profile for Chad Smith   Email Chad Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody else ever had film guard get inside of a lens? Just curious.

[ 05-14-2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-13-2005 03:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, never heard that one. Only thing I can think of how one can get FG in one is that the bottle leaked and a lens was below the bottle and soaked the end of the lens with it. It this what happened, on the reason of your question?

Fill us in on your reasoning for this question and maybe we can help you on this one (even though when any kind of moisture enters into a lens, it's time for the lens to head to the shop for disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly-don't try this yourself if you don't know what you're doing for sure).

Little hint: this topic title is a borderline "teaser" topic. since the topic has no definite subject matter. Maybe change the topic to "fluid leakage in lenses", or something similar.

thx-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-13-2005 12:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may just be that you are applying much too much FilmGuard to the print? Are you seeing tiny droplets on the back element of the lens, or just an oily haze? Sometimes a really oily print (literally dripping oil) could have some vaporized oil or slight splatter build up on the lens.

Kyle McTague
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Kyle McTague   Email Kyle McTague   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually got onto the front element of the lens. I came into work last week, and chad told me about this and my immediate response was "how the hell did you accomplish that?" It took forever to get off of the outside and then we noticed that there's also some inside. I've considered taking him out back and beating him with a hose but we'll see....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-13-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In the grand spirit of Manny, I don't mean to sound like an insensitive prick, but...

I just have to ask...HOW did you accomplish this? Seriously, was one of your guys spraying the lens with it thinking it was lens cleaner or something? That bottle should've never come anywhere near a projector in the first place. Some refresher training is probably in order.

Chad Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Chad Smith   Email Chad Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looked like there was filmguard on the underside of the film cleaner and it ran down and dripped onto the lens turret and then ran down onto the front of the scope lens. That's all I could gather, but I think we're going to do a repair/exchange because upon further inspection there's a bubble in the lens, which is even more exciting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2005 12:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, somebody didn't read the instructions that came with the FilmGuard. Nowhere in there did it say to saturate the media pads with the cleaner mounted on the projector.

At least now you know to enforce the "saturate, then mount" policy. [Cool]

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2005 10:43 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
the "saturate, then mount" policy.
did anybody else laugh at that?

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 12:22 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was mount, then saturate....when finished. [Eek!]

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 12:14 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually prefer filling the lenses entirely with cleaner, bubbles, and glitter. It adds a lot of flair to the presentation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: