Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best sound test film for clipping (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best sound test film for clipping
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2005 10:14 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best type of sound test film to test for clipping on an oscilloscope, ie with the greatest modulation?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-11-2005 11:25 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think; none. To get an amp to clip (for testing purposes) you need to input a signal that is higher than the amp is supposed to take. This means using a signal generator where you can increase the input signal and watch the resulting output on a scope. The amp manufacturer should be able to provide enough data to insure your sound system is set up correctly and won't clip.

If I had to do this with test film (which I don't recommend) I guess I would use a loop of SMPTE 1kHz test film, then turn the volume up until I saw clipping on the scope. Most manufacturers' test (and their data is based on) using a 1kHz tone. I would not use regular film (with music and dialog) since the sound is too random and brief to see and record.

If you can tell us why you want to do this, we might be able to tell you a better way to get the result you need.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I want to make sure that the solar cell the right distance from the film so no clipping of the signal occurs. I have already set up the lateral position of the cell so crosstalk is about 8:1 signal/noise ratio but I appear to be getting a bit of distortion on high output soundtracks. I wanted to see if it's the cell position or a bad preamp setup.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2005 12:19 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dolby's Cat. 97 is 100% modulation, and is the film used to check the cell position, both laterally, and for proximity to the film. (the less crosstalk, the closer you are)

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Cat97 L-R is about all you can get these days, and it is recorded at 100% mod, look for the tops of the on peaks going flat. It is amazingly easy to overdrive a cell!

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..well, I've already set up using cat 97 and got minimal crosstalk and zero clipping so I guess the problem is with my preamp setup.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's the pre-amp?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-11-2005 08:55 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cat. No. 97 is actually slightly clipped on the outside edges as it is.

I'm not sure I understand the term clipping the solar cell.

Do you mean like overdriving it with too much light, or do you mean the waveform from the film is too big to fit inside the dimmensions?

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2005 03:47 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I mean that the cell is perhaps too far forward so the more modulated parts of the track are projected wide of the cell.

Peter, I use a cheap B-Tech stereo Mic amp. I have de-coupling capacitors on each channel of the cell and a couple of 680ohm resistors connected from the each channel to the ground.

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2005 04:53 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi !

the stereo cell must be set very close to the film (1 mm is a good value, you can see CP-50 manual on this site : there is a scheme).
For coupling to preamp : it is better to avoid capacitors (capacitors are no reliable components !!! [Big Grin] ) but it is depending on your preamp .... The ideal solution is to use transformers as CP-50 do !

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-12-2005 06:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
be aware that there is a DC component in the output of the solarcel and some small cheap transformers do not like the DC component as it can saturate them
Best is a blocking capacitor in serries with the transformer
better yet get a used cp50 or similar

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2005 02:16 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been trying to diagnose the distortion I am getting on louder parts of the soundtrack. I hooked up my scope to the preamp output and there's definitely no clipping going on. I ran some trailers and watched the scope output. I noticed that on the louder parts of the soundtrack the wave seems to extend further in the negative direction than it does in the top direction. I have tried to represent this in a dodgy diagram;

-

Is this the reason my sound is distorted with loud bits? If so, what can I do about it?

BTW, if I run the 7khz test film, the wave is equidistant around the centre line.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-14-2005 04:13 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having the 7KHz waveform look symmetrical, but not the waveform from a soundtrack, seems almost impossible. A wild guess would be something weird like one half of a class 'b' preamp is bad. Where exactly do you have the scope probe connected? Is the scope input set to DC? Is this visable in both (Lt-Rt) channels?

As Gordon noted, a capacitor will remove the DC, and I would think there would be a cap at the input of the power amp. So even if it's not of equal ampiltude at the preamp output, it will be inside the main amp.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scope was set to AC and measured at the output of the preamp. The preamp is really basic and built around a dual op-amp (4558). There are no transistors - only a few resistors and capacitors.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-14-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, with the scope set to AC, the resulting waveform would have be symmetrical even if the signal is not. Only by moving the scope's up/down positioning knob could it be made to look offset. It might be interesting to set the scope to DC and see what you get.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: