Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex Prototype (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex Prototype
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2005 08:47 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Simplex Portable, or more accurately compact, on eBay at the moment (not my auction).

Auction Link

Auction Text:

This a used 35mm Simplex motion picture projector w/ 2000' magazines, picture and optical sound contained in the same housing (has photo electric cell sound pickup and can be changed to a solar cell). The exciter lamp requires a power source which is not included. The Lamphouse has a 1000W Mazda bulb. The Lens is a Bausch & Lomb Cinemascope combination (141mm). This projector was used in a private screening room only by the original owner. It is a prototype projector manufactured in the 1950's. The projector runs smoothly and is relatively quiet as compared to other theater machines and it is relatively compact.

I have never seen this type before, it is listed as a prototype. Where these ever marketed? If so, what model did it become?

-

and

-

[ 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Mitchell Dvoskin ]

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2005 11:01 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it has (what looks like) a Century intermittent. In fact, it looks more like a Century than a Simplex. The only 'Simplex' part is the square sight glass. Very interesting, though, especially with the motor mounted on the back.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2005 11:33 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That movement is single bearing which Simplex stopped making in the twenties.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-09-2005 12:17 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex continue to make single bearing units for their SI projectors which where mostly an export product.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-09-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know...it kinda looks like what the Simplex SP (I think that was its name) would have evolved into in the near XL era. The SP was very Super in appearance.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2005 10:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
You know...it kinda looks like what the Simplex SP (I think that was its name) would have evolved into in the near XL era. The SP was very Super in appearance.
So what you're actually trying to say is that the X-L is actually from the later precambrian eon. The SP was definately from the slightly earlier paleozoic era as fossils of them have been found in the Utah desert.

P.S. it wasn't SP actually, as the SP is the "Suitcase Portable" model, also known as the Shit Pile!. Its the model SI (Shitty Insides) you're thinking of that had the SP mechanism and was produced in small numbers during WW-2. They were built around the same time we learned to control the atom(pretty scary ha?). There was still a shelf full of those at Lee Artoes place in Chicago back in the 80's. Rounded corners and that same crappy SP mechanism sans the sound repeoducer, the SI actually went on top of an SH-1000 so you didn't have to throw the whole thing in the dumpster after the war. I think theatres woulda been better shutting down than installing them just to save face. It looks nothing like the projector in the photos above.

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2005 02:41 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Simplex portable I've ever seen was a thing built into a square box, about two feet square, and about ten inches deep I think, with the feed spoolbox on top, and the take-up one inside the main box. I've seen three of those over the years, none of them in working order. What model was that? What date? I would guess that it was '30s sometime.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2005 03:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
The only Simplex portable I've ever seen was a thing built into a square box, about two feet square, and about ten inches deep I think, with the feed spoolbox on top, and the take-up one inside the main box.
Hi Steve - would it be this Simplex-Acme portable (which this one was configured to be in front of a carbon lamphouse)?

-

My friend has two of these Simplex-Acmes in excellent, and working condition. These, as by themselves use an internal 1000w "Mazda" bulb. As portables, these are "hernia-inducers" (lol - Mark, stay away from these..lol)

quote: John Walsh
But it has (what looks like) a Century intermittent. In fact, it looks more like a Century than a Simplex.

Wanna see a "green" Century Portable?

-

-

quote: Richard Fowler
Simplex continue to make single bearing units for their SI projectors which where mostly an export product.

..and a pict of those "ghastly" SI machines. One opens the soundhead door, and the sound drops out, being that the photocell was in the door itself.

-

I've only seen one of these machines in person back in the early 70's down in a basement of a small "mom and pop" theatre. I can see why these things died quickly due to the shutter being front mounted only.

-Monte

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-10-2005 05:30 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't the sound sync be too early on that Century "portable"? It looks like the solar cell is closer to the gate than it would be in a standard Century R-3 soundhead. Is the owner using some sort of delay unit to correct for this?

Also, what are "mazda bulbs"? Is it just a term for a standard incandescent light bulb (err..."lamp"), or does it refer to something more specific?

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2005 07:53 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte-
That soundhead is WE. Either a 209 or 211. The PE cell was mounted in the door so you did lose sound when you opened it.
Bob

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2005 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, thats a 211. Northern electric made an equivelent version as well.

Monte... I woldn't want those Acmes. I've turned down many pairs of them. I have basically zero interest in any U.S. made projectors except for VistaVision stuff, there just are not any U.S. made projectors that are really worth the time of day. Frankly, if it doesn't say Phillips or Bauer in it then it doesn't belong in my collection. That Century portable was made by a fellow in either Belgium or France and is very well done, I've contemplated doing a similar mod over here as the SA is a good "home" projector for the serious type film collector. Now all he needs to do is to add a basement digital reader and its done.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-10-2005 09:02 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mazda was the trademark name that General Electric used for projection and stage bulbs. the initial use was in the early part of the last century.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I don't think highly of Simplex SP projectors, I have a friend who runs one in his basement. It features a 2000' magazine mounted on top, takeup inside the "suitcase", and a western electric style sound gate (instead of sound drum). He has access to a machine shop, and made a number of custom modifications including analog stereo. His only problem is that the projector does not have changeable aperture plates. He has a catalog that indicates that Simplex made a replacement gate in the 1950's with changeable plates, but he has never been able to locate one. It runs quiet, and is rock steady, but still I'm not sure this was the best choice of projector.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That green Century portable has a bottom of a Bell & Howell TQ1 16mm projector (the part with amplifier and motor controls).

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-10-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that the term "Mazda" (when used with film projectors) usually referred to a incandescent lamp where the filament was run in an up and down 'zig-zag' pattern, forming a sort of square area of illumination. This lit the aperture opening better than a regular single straight filiment (which OTOH, was perfect for lighting optical sound slits.)

That 'mean green machine' is pretty cool, but I agree with Scott; it looks like a lot of film has to be 'lost' within the head to get the right sound sync distance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: