Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ocala Drive Inn

Author Topic: Ocala Drive Inn
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen such a mish-mash of equipment at any D.I.! The funny thing is that the proper projector for this application is laying in the floor under the rewind bench! Sad indeed [Roll Eyes] .

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..I was wondering about that...yanking out that Brenkhert and putting up that XL in it's place. Course I thought about that Super in the previous pict, but Supers weren't made too well for Drive-in usage.

-Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-08-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XLs on Motiographs aren't a good combination. I don't know if it was the gear ratio or what, but the drive kits were always crapping out.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Motiographs had that multilink chain drive that would hook up to a Simplex.

What I'm curious about though: What is a Super Lume-X doing in a drive in - unless that screen is miles away and a small screen, thus getting away with a 2.5k bulb in that lamphouse.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Brenkerts really well-suited for drive-in use? The drive in where I first learned to 'project' had Brenkerts and they were really nice-running machines. (They were the only thing that ran smooth in that place!)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-09-2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
...Motiographs had that multilink chain drive that would hook up to a Simplex.
Yes, that's right, but the ratio and/or starting torque was very hard on the XL drive kits.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-09-2005 01:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...especially since there is no flywheel from motor to machine to allow the "ramping up" to speed thing.

I always wonder when I used to see any Simplex (or even this Brenkhert in that matter) attached to those SH-7500 Mirrorphonics and when that motor takes off, the machine really "snaps" up to speed real quick...wondering if these other machines (or even the Motiograph AA's that were attached to these heads) are really taking a beating with that quick start.

-Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-09-2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XL/SH-7500 was the only combination I am aware of that had any kind of a problem. Centurys worked well on them, as did the AAs. This is actually the first time I've ever seen a Brenkert on one. As hard as those heads are to turn, I can imagine it's not a pretty picture.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a theatre in Champaign, Il. that used Simplex X-L's on 7500's for many years. As long as you slow started them there was not a problem at all. These 7500's even had brass flywheens inside with the gears on the input shaft. The combination of these flywheels and the slow start resistirs is obviously why they lasted as long as they did.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: