Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamphouse "welds" thru its negative lead

Author Topic: Lamphouse "welds" thru its negative lead
Kenny Thies
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Kenny Thies   Email Kenny Thies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Last night during a late show of Amityville Horror, a person comes out and says that the "video" is no longer visable on the screen. Lucking I was still in the building and was able to move the remainder of the print to an open house and show the rest of the movie.

After we closed, I thought that it was just a bad bulb and went to replace it and when I opened the lamphouse up (CFS 2000) I noticed that the negative lead wire from the rectifier to the base of the bulb was just dangling in the wind. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the remainder of the wire in the connector on the rectifier was completely "welded" inside the connector. Luckily I had an old rectifier we use for parts and I was able to get the same connector to replaced the welded one. I also stripped back part of the wire that goes to the bulb to get a clean wire. I put it all back together and now it works.

My question is... was this caused by the bolt not being tight enough on that connection to cause it to have resistance and build up heat, creating the weld? Or should I be looking for something else? Everything else looked fine. I inspected all other connections and they were tight. This lamphouse has 14,000 hours on it, and is the first problem we have had with it.

Thanks for the input.

Kenny Thies

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2005 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenny Thies
Or should I be looking for something else?
This is not uncommon on these lamphouses. I've geard of this happenning several times from our customers that choose to drive the dam things. Just be sure that all the bolts are tightened. This should be done once a year or when you change your lamp which seems to be once a year in many locations.

Should you be looking for something else? Absolutely YES! Replace that CFS pos with something that is better built and more efficient at getting the light from the arc to the screen. The cfs's were always light wasters......

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, did the ORC consoles have the same basic problem being that basement loaded vertical mounted bulb setup? (gut getting better?)

I'll get the focal length on that lens, we may do the loaner thing from you.

thx-Monte

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-09-2005 12:41 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same happen on three CFS rectifiers and one early Christie.

I strongly recommend replacing the entire negative cable rather than using the overheated cable, as even though it appears clean and shiny, it will have enough oxidation within it to potentially cause another 'meltdown' again.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: