Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » LE GRAND PAVOIS CINEMAS

Author Topic: LE GRAND PAVOIS CINEMAS
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 08:56 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a cool looking theater but did anyone else notice the "The other movies of the third projector"? Just leaning up against the wall of the booth? WHAT THE HECK...I don't know about anyone else but that just screams film handling gone wrong. I count 10 prints of various size on the floor there, some look to be up around 8 reals.

Granted it looks as if the booth is very cramped up...but I just don't see that as being smart...or film done right. If you look in the distance you can see at least two or three more prints.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe film is more empathetic to space contraints in France than in other countries?

I've heard the Riverview in Minneapolis has the same issue, even with a 5 Deck AP platter, so they hang their extra prints on the booth wall...

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least there on the wall, not on the floor where they can be kicked, dirt can get on them easier...I don't know, just dosn't seem right to me.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think hanging a print would be a very good idea for 1 simple reason: it could get knocked off, fall on the floor, and become a giant mess.

IMHO the print should be on 6000's, stored off the floor somewhere, on the side of the reels, (not standing up) so if it's loose it won't get a big sag from gravity pulling the slack to the bottom.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 01:12 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus! How many different films does that place show!?! Look at all those cans!

Also, the lamphouses have no exhaust ducts!!!!! [Confused] [Eek!]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the wall you could at least get some king of hooks or something that close and lock so it wouldn't fall...6000 would be good except if there changing shows all the time...either way that is definitely FILM DONE WRONG! IMHO

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a common way to store films in Sweden, too. Except those of
us with change-over; film reels nicely stored in cabinets [Wink]

Thomas

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-08-2005 03:47 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's no problem at all. The only part of the film which touches the floor is maybe less than an inch of the foot of the last reel. Some cinemas which lean the prints against the wall like this have a little patch of carpet next to the wall in those "storage places" (at least we did), but even without that, it makes no difference at all. Those Kinoton ST200 wind up the film very evenly and the plastic platter ring does not allow the inner windings of film to slip like it does with metal rings, so the prints are usually very tight, like a solid plastic disc, and you can take the print off and carry it around without clamps. It also won't fall apart or shift windings while leaning against the floor and chilling there.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
.... and you can take the print off and carry it around without clamps....
...I remember used to doing the same thing at a 4-plex I used to work at that had CHR AW2 platters. Film was wound so tight that I could actually ROLL the print down on the floor to the next machine....(lol). I also did lean my prints against the wall when I had multiple prints per house

....until one of the rings accidently popped out..called a 3hr mess to clean up..(lol)

This was in the late 70's .... Who ever heard of a "pizza board", or "clamps" at that time?

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2005 04:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thay shouda hired Brad to layout the place.... but at least the equipment is good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: