Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong LumenX Reflector Question

Author Topic: Strong LumenX Reflector Question
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-07-2005 04:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a reflector go bad (silver disease--it flaked off) in a Strong Lumen-X lamphouse. The replacement was sent from Ballentine and was marked Lumen-X 90, but it didn't have the same mounting configuration as the original.

Whereas the original has a simple retaining ring that bolts directly to the lamphouse frame, the replacement has an arrangement where there is a ring that bolts to the frame and and additional retaining ring on the reflector which bolts to it via three standoff screws with springs. Nice idea, but it was impossible for me to get my fingers in behind the housing to get those springs in. The back side of this lamphouse does not have a door or any other access save taking the entire lamphouse apart.

In order to make it work, I had to forego the springs and use spacers to stand off the reflector ring from the mounting ring. Even that took an hour of manuvering my fat fingers in there to put in the spacers. This must be a wrong part since I can't imagine anyone would design such a contraption that was impossible to install.

I should also say that with this lamphouse there is no manual adjustment screws for reflector positioning, so the spring arrangement is pretty useless. I got a nice even light with my gerryriged spacers, so I am assuming the reflector itself is identical to my original, except for the mounting method. As long as there is good light, I not terribly concerned, but can someone tell me if what I got was the wrong part, and if not, then what's the trick of mounting it, cause I sure as hell couldn't.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, Soulnds like you got the new style reflector without the correct adaptor kit to install in in the older lamphouse. This is a point any knowledgable dealer shouda asked you when you ordered the new one.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-07-2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean LUME-X.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, still having a hard time standing and typing. If the slanty eyes start making them we can call them Yum-Ex since they cacn't pronounce the letter L properly. Stong Erectric..... [Big Grin] ?
I save that for future thread! Bonzeye!

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 03:01 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I could make the museum get it exchanged for the right one, but the gerry-rig seems to be working fine -- I ran all day today and got very even light (which I don't find an easy thing to do with xenon) and nice and bright, so I am tempted to say just leave it be; I make it a rule not to argue with success. Then on the other hand, I envison some guy down the line going to replace the bulb and finding the reflector being supported by three metal jackets from RCA plugs. [Eek!]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-08-2005 03:16 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, I was talkin' to Frank, Mark. [Razz]

Hope you're gettin' along okay after that surgery.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-08-2005 10:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Strong included the required replacement screws with all the "new" type mirrors. You need button head cap screws (1/4-20 x 1/2" I think) in order to mount it, the original cap screws are impossible to get in (as you know). Using a ball tip allen wrench the button head screws are just a bit tricky to get in.
You shouldn't disassemble the spring mounts, they're a bugger to get in with the ring installed. You can do it with some tape and small hands but it ain't fun.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: