Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby A question

Author Topic: Dolby A question
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking of buying a CP-50 for my home setup. I would like to know if Dolby A noise reduction would work on modern prints. I understand that modern prints are encoded for SR, so would I still get noise reduction with a CP-50?

If not, I may as well just get a cheaper consumer pro-logic system to give me some sort of surround sound.

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby SR prints can still be played in (04) Dolby A and still get the correct Dolby A noise reduction.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2005 06:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone correct me if I'm wrong: Dolby says that playing SR through an A decoder is "compatible". But SR through A has never sounded very good to me. [Confused]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the other way around. You can play SR prints in A or SR but you can not play A prints in SR and expect it to sound very good.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl is correct. I have never had a problem playing an SR print in Dolby A. Obviously, you don't get the benefit of SR playback when you do that. That may be why it didn't sound so great.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-06-2005 07:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that you get a good preamp and academy filter and eq in the cp50 is by far better than a home brew
If you want SR then just plug in 2 cat 280T's

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2005 06:14 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matthew !

If you use a cheap home theater amplifier to decode surround sound (in prologic mode) you must use the CP 50 "Rt+Lt" rear outputs : the level of these outputs match with amplifier inputs. And sub channel is also decoded ! With this method you profit of A or SR noise reduction, but you don't profit of CP-50 front speakers equalization (Cat 64) ; for mono prints, you don't profit of the academy 8 kHz filter.
The second method consists to use a home theatre amplifier with direct inputs (not cheap, alas !!!) : you connect the four ouput channels + the sub channel of the CP-50 to the 6-direct-input of your home theatre amplifier (surrounds Left and Right are wired together !) and you profit of all CP-50 possibilities [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: