Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Es Problem

Author Topic: DTS Es Problem
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
Long time no speak! We installed ages ago a DTS ES unit at a local cinema which already had a DTS 6D Unit and a CP65. The unit worked perfectly for at least a couple of months. After that the Centre Surrounds (back left, back right) when the DTS ES unit was in NORMAL mode (i.e. Auto E-S Selection with all the settings e.t.c) were making cracking noises and they still are. When the unit is on Bypass, walla, Everything sounds ok with no cracking or anything. I tried today the modification that was recommended for older units to solder a jumper wire instead of the jumpers that were in the unit but still no luck. Any idea what might be happening? Has anyone ever had this problem before? By the way, this happens in both SR and DTS playback.

D

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 03:13 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it possibly be something loose between your CP65 and amps since it's present in SR and DTS?

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could be dirty contacts on the connectors. Try cleaning the connectors with a little contact cleaner, or just unplug, and plug the connectors severial times.

If this does not work, checking the grounding of the equipment.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2005 12:49 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried both. The noise is not grounding problem and for that I am sure. The speakers are CRACKING not buzzing. The sound is like the cracking of burning wood (if I can relate it to that). And When it is in BYPASS mode, all channels (including the cracking ones) work perfectly. When it is on NORMAL mode and the channels are modulated through the DTS ES, cracking is heard to the back surrounds.
HELP!
D

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2005 01:45 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's ONLY from the DTS unit then it's isolated to the DTS processor itself. I recall a similar problem we had on our SDDS unit caused by a dirty trimmer POT on our APR board.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: