Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Star Wars Trade Screenings: Film or Digital?

Author Topic: Star Wars Trade Screenings: Film or Digital?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-03-2005 11:01 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like the topic says. I'm curious as to which version was screened. I'm especially curious of the Zigefeld(sp) theater in NYC.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as there are no DLP projectors in Atlanta (more specifically at the Regal Hollywood 24) ... this one will be film.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 02:04 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Aaron and I saw film in San Rafael tonight. This in George's home town theatre.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it last night (5/3) on DLP

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently you guys are forbidden from expressing opinions on the film at this point? Or can you say if you liked it or not?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2005 12:54 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time Magazine was quite positive:

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050509/index.html

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050509/story.html

quote:
The first three Star Wars were epic. The next two, not really. Now George Lucas has pulled out all the stops and finished the cycle with Revenge of the Sith

By RICHARD CORLISS

...On May 19, you'll see where they got: back, finally, to the beginning. The narrative arcs of the grand epic, gracefully bending in a double helix, will be complete. Anakin (Hayden Christensen), the handsome, headstrong young Jedi, will be lured by impulses both arrogant and poignant to collide with his awful fate. Under Darth Sidious, the Sith Empire will shred and swallow up the fragile Republic. Anakin's Jedi guru, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), will scuttle into hiding, as will Yoda. Over the galaxy, the silence of repression will fall, broken only by the cries of two infants, Luke and his twin sister Leia. "This is the movie that people have wanted to see," says Christensen, who in Sith steps confidently into Anakin's turbulent and agonized manhood. "And it does it in a clever enough way that you're never a step ahead of the story." ...

quote: Mark J. Marshall
Just like the topic says. I'm curious as to which version was screened. I'm especially curious of the Zigefeld(sp) theater in NYC.

AFAIK, the Clearview Ziegfeld now has a Christie CP2000 projector and an Avica FilmStore server. (They used to have a Barco). They currently show that they will have both a digital and film prints.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-04-2005 09:49 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, do you know if you saw it on a 1.2K or a 2K DLP? And how did it look?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2005 10:53 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was done on the 2K and looked good. I was in the very front row. Saw some pixels, but you would see the same thing if you were proportionaly sitting infront of a crt. Otherwise, image looked great.

I'll refrain on any story comments until the movie is released.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: