Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bulbs won't light EASILY...

Author Topic: Bulbs won't light EASILY...
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 3 projectors (new), Strong Highlight IIA lamphouses that just don't like to light the lamps on the first, second, thrid..or sometimes even the 7th try. We thought the bulbs could be garbage, however in our older lamphouses (different manufacturer as well) they strike the first time..everytime. I'm sure the audience doesn't appreciate being treated to a strobe slide show, and the installers keep blaming cheap bulbs, so what do we do? Any ideas? Adjustments?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-01-2005 11:35 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what bulbs do you use? Are the connections all tight? Are the units set to the right current levels? On all the units that are having these problems, just manually start the lamp until the lamp stays on and then just hit the start button. Remember to turn the manual switch back off. The audiance will never know you have a problem.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2005 11:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be several things but check your operating current first when you do get one to light and be sure its in the proper operating range. Could also be the HV pulse arcing over to the mirror or other metal item near the lamp, or it could be bad DC ignitors..... Strong has had their share of problems with them. What type of buibs are you having the trouble with? That can make a big dofference.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 01:56 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didnt think it was the bulbs simply because our older units have no problem lighting them at all. The units that do have a problem are new. They all do the same thing. We use ASL bulbs.

Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never worked with Strong lamp houses but I do know that when I get a "hard to strike" lamp in our Christie Lamp houses I know it's time to clean and regap the Igniter. Especially if the lamp is newish.
I'm thinking maybe a combination of problems. Gap not set right and igniter delay not long enough to build enough voltage to strike. If your lamp house has a Amp/Volt meter like the Christie does switch it to Voltage and watch it as it attempts to strike. Do you get around 4x the lamps rated operating voltage. Normally it's Watts divided by 100. Ex: 3kW lamp operates @ approx 30 volts which nominally needs 120 Volts to strike an Arc.

*shrug* something to look at anyway.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is...thank you!

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in Japan finishing a 12-screen install with the same console, the bulbs here are doing the same thing, it turned out to be these Christie bulb we are using (3K), the two big houses are using using 4500 LIT & we have no problems with these...I check everything on the High rect. power supply...it is the bulbs here not the console or power supply...

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the bulbs work fine in our other consoles with no flickering or problems lighting, only in our new lamp houses, so I think that rules out the bulb...

Kevin Orman
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 08:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Orman   Email Kevin Orman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
Well, the bulbs work fine in our other consoles with no flickering or problems lighting, only in our new lamp houses, so I think that rules out the bulb...
No, not neccesarily. It appears that some lamps can behave differently with different igniter/power supply combinations. I have heard for example that some of the 'more economical' power supplies have difficulty striking an Ushio lamp but not an Osram.

At one screen I worked at years ago one of the machines used to do very nasty things when the lamp was struck - one time taking-out the motor control card on the Christie AW3 and another time the power supply card on the dolby unit!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: