Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Power supply PS 1 lite flashes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Power supply PS 1 lite flashes
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2005 06:53 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally found a Dolby Power Supply PS-1 that I purchased just recently.
When I apply power to it, the 15v- and the 15v+ red lights lite, but the 24v+ red light flashes on and off, and I hear a click each times it flashes.
I read the voltage from the two 15v and they are correct, but the 24v does not put out any voltage.
Also, nothing is connected to the pwr supply.
Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-30-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Download the cp200 schematics for the drawing of that ps
there is a UJT timmer on the 24v rail that provided some muting proctection during powerup

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,
Last night I pluged in the power to the PS-1 and the red lite just keeps flashing and clicking..........I pushed the power button on and off several times and still no change.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted double post...the F-T server sure runs like molasses sometimes.....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Perhaps you need to take some electrionics courses [Wink] . Or just hire a service tech to come have a look at it [thumbsup] . Could be a number of things causing your problem aside from what Gord mentioned above. Used equipment is not always the best bet unless you're electronics savy.....

Mark

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Your right at about electronic courses......however I'm a home hobbyest, and sence this PS-1 was purchased, if there is a quick fix fine, otherwise I'll return it to the seller.
Thought maybe I was doing something incorrect on a power up check.
Or perhaps there has to be a load on the 24v. but I don't think so.
I've downloaded the CP200 file and diagrams etc.....but can't find anything to cause the red lite flashing and clicking.
Do you have somme ideas?????

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-01-2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Measure the output of the bridge circuits and the filters
If they all match the rated values then I suspect the timer

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-01-2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Gord...

quote: Paul Vollmers
...but the 24v does not put out any voltage.

I find that hard to believe since the LED that's blinking with the relay clicking is powered from the 24vdc supply that is available on the TS strip.

At this point, I have to agree with Mark, get a local tech that has knowledge of electronics...it actually sounds like a simple problem with a simple solution.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 08:18 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,
You were correct, about the timer.........turns out the power supply is senitive to the cold.......after bring the power supply into the house from the cold garage, the 24v lite came on after a 2 second deley.
Thanks for your input........and to all the others.

Paul

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-03-2005 12:13 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How cold is it in your garage? It's probably the humidity as the timer is a very high impedance circuit and dampness has a known effect.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2005 05:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Temperature has an effect on the equipment??? [Eek!]

This winter during an instal, I was called to the booth because of different problems. I walked in the room, and the trainees still had heavy jackets and scarves and hats and mittens on. It was in the mid 30's inside the booth. I don't know if a manufacturer tests booth equipment for these conditions. I told them to fix the heat and "I'll be back"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2005 07:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
I told them to fix the heat and "I'll be back"

Oh come on man... you're too spoiled by that Florida climate. 30 degrees is nuttin....... [Roll Eyes] . You need to spend some time in Northern Idaho in the dead of winter and get acclimated!! Omaha can actually be even worse as the humidity is alot higher there but then Idaho usually gets alot colder.

My R-2 has to warm up to room temp before it will operate properly. It runs but won't talk to the computer reliably till its comfortable inside.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-03-2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to get rid of that ol' dinosaur and get a D2!!! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2005 11:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Time to get rid of that ol' dinosaur and get a D2!!!
I couldn't agree more but after doing close to 3000 rooms with this R-2 its kinda hard to just leave it in the closet and let it [sleep] . Its been a very good analyzer and my dinosaur Toshiba Satellite model 1 is also still working like a champ......

Mark

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2005 06:06 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTEI couldn't agree more but after doing close to 3000 rooms with this R-2 its kinda hard to just leave it in the closet and let it ] [/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Mark.. until someone comes out with a wireless unit I will remain quite attached to my R2.. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: