Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BKSTS MANUAL

Author Topic: BKSTS MANUAL
Sally Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 10:26 AM      Profile for Sally Burgess   Email Sally Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend the BKSTS Projectionists Training Manual? I can get one for £40 brand new but just wanted to know if anyone could tell me just how useful it is...thanks [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend it.

Can you borrow a copy to see for yourself before you buy?

Sally Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Sally Burgess   Email Sally Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John
I've looked on the web to see a preview of the manual but no joy! I've heard its a bit old fashioned, as it was published in 1979, is that right, and it doesnt cover digital sound?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version that I have was published in 1997, and includes good basic information about digital sound in Topic 3 (6-10 to 6-17). But detailed information and procedures are best obtained from Dolby, DTS and Sony.

Sally Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 03:01 PM      Profile for Sally Burgess   Email Sally Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John I'll look into that...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1979 and 1997 versions are two totally separate books - one isn't an update of the other.

The 1997 version is OK as a training aid for someone who is starting from zero, but not much use for a projectionist who knows the basics, has some experience and wants to develop advanced skills. There are lots of photos, and the basic functions and operation of projection booth kit is explained clearly and simply. But it doesn't really go into a lot of hard core technical detail, and IMHO isn't much use as a reference manual for the less frequently done and more complex maintenance and repair procedures. Neither is there anything substantial on, for example, changeover operation, or coping with older and rarer film formats.

The 1979 manual (written by Bernard Happé) is excellent on the theoretical background (e.g. electronics basics), film handling techniques and the underlying craft skills of the job. However, it is, as you suspect, a bit dated. For example, it includes sections on carbon arcs and electromechanical (e.g. Projectomatic) automation systems, but has nothing on SVA or digital sound, or polyester base film.

Personally I'd much rather that the BKSTS had updated, enlarged and perhaps selectively pruned the Happé manual rather than start again from scratch. Both are certainly worth having on the shelf, though whether they're worth the outlay is a judgement that only you can really make.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: