Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reminder: Don't throw CP650's away (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Reminder: Don't throw CP650's away
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 09:27 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know why there's a picture of a garbage can with an X through it on the back of some CP650's?

-

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe garbage in - garbage out?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 10:17 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, that's a sign that the components should not simply be put into regular garbage and sent to a landfill. In other words, electronic gear often has materials in it that can harm the environment, and should be properly recycled. Typically these include things like lead solder, batteries that contain cadmium, mercury, lead, or lithium, mercury-wetted contacts, lead in CRTs, chromium magnetic media, thorium-doped cathodes and electrodes, etc., not to mention valuable materials like gold plated contacts, etc.

Most professional gear would have an aftermarket for used circuit boards to use as replacements on old equipment, even if the unit is not repairable.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-28-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reminder: Don't throw CP650's away
[Big Grin] Hahahahaaa! ROFL!

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sign is usually printed on lead-acid batteries. Do these contain any for back-up maybe?

P.S. Anyone considering throwing their CP-650's out can donate to me. [Big Grin] I will even pay the shipping. [thumbsup]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do you one better!

If you send me your used but still operational cinema equipment, not only will I pay the (reasonable) shipping cost, but I'll even send you a letter you can use to get tax credit for making a donation to a non-profit institution!

Really! [Smile]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do that even better:

Send me your unwanted stuff, I'll send you BEER. [beer]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-29-2005 08:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received this note from Barry Ferrell of QSC:

quote:
Hi John,

There is a thread on "don't throw away CP-650's" on Film Tech. My membership is not up to date. Can you update the other folks next time you are on line?

This is part of the RoHs WEEE initiative in Europe. The EU wants all electronic gear to be recycled. The symbol will soon appear on QSC amps as well. The RoHs part restricts hazardous substances used in the manufacturing process. This is actually driving a conversion to "no lead" solder by August, 2006.

Here is a link to a website of a recycling company that explains the WEEE program.

http://www.weee-recycle.com/home.html

Best regards,

Barry Ferrell
Director of Product Strategy, QSC Audio Products, Inc.
Vice-President, International Theater Equipment Association

http://www.weee-recycle.com/home.html

quote:
This website is your one-stop-shop for information about the proposed WEEE legislation and how it is likely to affect your business.

During 1998 915,000 tonnes of electrical and electronic equipment
waste was created and this volume is rising between 3-5% per annum.

After 10 years of debate the EU directives EEE, WEEE and RoHS are becoming a reality. The impact on the way manufacturers design, produce and dispose of their products will be huge.

Weee-recycle.com will update you on all you need to know about the new legislation and suggests practical solutions your organisation can benefit from.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 12:36 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
Send me your unwanted stuff, I'll send you BEER.
WINNAR!!

Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Throw them away!? Hell no I love my CP650's. All 10 of them. Now only if I could get Harkins to trash the other 4 Sony DP-3000's and penthouse readers that we have. *shudder*

BTW, another item I didn't see mentioned here that all electronic devices contain that are hazardous to the enviroment are Capacitors.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-01-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what a DP-3000 is, but if you have any DFP-D3000 to give away, I will take them immediately, look through them, get any parts needed from Roberta Hidalgo and then enjoy this great processor.
BTW, I thought Harkins had Kinoton projector heads. Unlike many other projectors with their metal gates and bands, these do not trash the edges of the print, so you shouldn't have too many problems with SDDS, unless there are some serious flaws in your film handling. Did you let the reader let do its readjustment routine lately?

[ 05-02-2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Michael Schaffer ]

Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes DFP-3000, Typo, my bad. And yes I do the A-chain on them often. And yes we run the Kinoton PK60-D's. However... 1 of them will not co-operate and we get audible pops on splices. And don't be dogging on my splices yo. I make damn clean splices. The popping is from the Processor not scrubbing out the splice noise. Even does it when I force SRD rather than let it run SDDS. Our Engineer is aware of the problem but has yet to find a problem with the processor. He believes the SDDS reader is losing the track and the processor is attempting to switch back and forth between SRD and SDDS. When it does that switch over it fails to filter the sound format change, hence the popping in the house.

Oh and before I forget. Films that are processed with Cyan tracks sound like utter crap in SDDS after a few runs. I know it shouldn't have anything to do with it but it does. Plastic Gates or not there is enough friction there to scrub the edges to the point that the SDDS reader has a bitch of time reading the tracks after a weeks worth of runs. So I end up forcing those into SRD on every run also. On the one that actually pops in the house it's worse. So we don't do prints with Cyan in there anymore.

[ 05-01-2005, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Alan Dallas ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-01-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That splice dropout is (strangely enough) caused by the changeover settings, it may or may not be firmware version dependend, I can't seem to remember any details right now. But I am sure Robbie can give you that info.
A lot of such problems with DFPs are also caused because the reversion (or "analog concealment mode" as they prefer to call it) is not properly set up. It might be worth investigating if your automation between the Dolby Digital processor (DA20?) annd the DFP is set up for pulse logic (as it most often is) or level logic (as it should be).
I ran SDDS on many FP30Ds and Es and never had any significant problems once the system was configured right - provided the track had originally been printed well. But that is another completely different subject. If you have wear problems on your projector heads, it might be worth investigating the gate (or "pressure skate") height. Sometimes these are set a tiny bit too high and there is a little too much friction between the curve at the bottom and the intermittent sprocket. And then of course the skate pressure.
Other problem areas might be the O-rings on the springed roller at the sound drum, and the setting of the spring tension which should be checked with the adjustment tool.

BTW we just finished installing 14 CP650s and I was also puzzled for a moment by the trash can symbol before I remembered what it stands for. It is just not very elegant that they placed it right next to the output!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The quick dropout on a DFP-3000 when switching formats is not firmware related, it's hardware related. I forget the board number, but one of them if you have the newer board does a cross-fade so as to completely conceal that. Older boards have that quick blip of silence like the CP500 does.

Quick question, are you saying that you have one particular auditorium with SDDS and SRD and you get a dropout of digital sound regardless of which format you are using? If so I would say the easiest thing you could do is swap the SDDS reader with another one in the complex and see if the problem follows. It is entirely possible that particular penthouse isn't quite aligned properly enough to track through a physical interruption (splice) and the Kinoton basement reader just happens to also be slightly misaligned (or as Michael said, probably a little bit insufficient spring tension or worn O'rings). If swapping the SDDS reader with a known good one doesn't fix the problem with that format, then maybe it's time to start looking at a physical issue with the projector/console (shaking).

Cyan prints have no bearing on the SDDS digital tracks.

Is there any wear at all on your white runners in the Kinoton gates? If so that will tear the hell out of your digital tracks, and is caused by too much heat in the machine (likely from a water circulator that died). Place your hand on the aperture and around the assembly between the aperture and intermittent (sides and front). If it is any more than just a tad bit warm, you do not have sufficient cooling.

Michael - I switched out my delrin runners for steel. Whoever said that delrin is more gentle on the film is full of shit. I ran a fair test by making two loops out of a brand new trailer. One was run with a pair of new delrin runners for 10 minutes and the SRD error rate started to increase a point or two. (I was careful to ensure that the loop did not come into contact with anything other than a film roller.) I then took the other loop also from that never used trailer and ran it for hours with a 1/2 point increase in the error rating. Both times the xenon was lit and this effect was noticed in every auditorium. There was no "cheating" (FilmGuard) going on either. Buy the steel runners. They will last the life of the projector, never need to be changed and are more gentle on the film. Delrin is stupid.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-01-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a board-related isuue with crossfading between format changes (can't remember the version of the board either), but I was referring to the dropout at the splices. Either a firmware up to a certain version or the settings in the changeover configuration (even for platter systems) caused this. Hmmm. I think I remember what it was now, but I think it is better if somebody who is certain he remembers all the details correctly comments on that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: