Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A dead Cat. 700 reader

Author Topic: A dead Cat. 700 reader
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I went in to work yesterday to find out that there is no SRD in one of our houses. After investigating, it would appear that the cat. 700 reader was not lit. I made sure it was on, made sure the plug was in, and even tried a new bulb: still nothing! I looked some info up in the manual and found a section about fuses. Well, I found the fuse and it appears normal too. I even hit up the Shack and bought some new ones. Still no power! Any ideas? My tech and I are in the process of finding a solution, but I might as well ask you all too.

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-27-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Molex connector that connects the lamp cable to the powersupply pcb is probably the culprit
They burn up completely or oxidise
I just solder them out

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-27-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you find the molex's to be ok its probably the main filter cap on the switching supply pcb. Its still best to remove and solder in the wires anyway. I have had two bad main caps in less than a year..... both camme in as dead.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 03:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..I had two 700 P/S's die last year as well..-good ol' "switcers" POS's ... just like the ones in our computers... and in our Strong consoles...

- Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-28-2005 08:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..I had two 700 P/S's die last year as well..-good ol' "switcers" POS's ... just like the ones in our computers... and in our Strong consoles...
Yea, but they're an easy switcher to repair when they do fail. Generally its not necessary to replace them....

Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. Generally these are simple and easy to repair. Just a flat Molex wafer connector and a couple of filter capacitors.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2005 01:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Yea, but they're an easy switcher to repair when they do fail
...Good. For I still have these failed ones, so please maybe you can give me tips on how to repair these two then. thx-Monte

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooohhhhhh! You meant the sound reader. I just read "dead cat" and got all excited. Them is good eatin'. [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-28-2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
Ooohhhhhh! You meant the sound reader. I just read "dead cat" and got all excited. Them is good eatin'.
Only in Wisconsin......

Monte.. send me your dead cats and I'll fix em right up for you.... Throw them in with the lens.....

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-28-2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: Madamn Moderator is no longer in Wisc... she is back in Mass. Hopefully she took her cat with her for the "Welcome Home" Bar-B-Q and invited Bob Maar.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only eat live "cat". When they're dead they get smelly and slimey [puke]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-28-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
Mark: Madamn Moderator is no longer in Wisc... she is back in Mass. Hopefully she took her cat with her for the "Welcome Home" Bar-B-Q and invited Bob Maar.
Dog gone..... I forgot about that.... Geez, can I use dog gone in thihs thread? I think I have those pets coonfused.... [Confused] .

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-28-2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can say "Dog Gone" Mark. It reminds me of the American Indian Chief that once explained to his son, whose name was "Two Dogs Fucking", when asked how he named his children. The chief replied the names were based on what he saw when they were born.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2005 03:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...'bout as bad as Chief Dirty-Butt of the Never Wipe Tribe....lol...

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Throw them in with the lens.....

bummer, didn't read this 'til late tonite and have already sent the lens to your shop. Maybe when I get a chance to breakaway and head down the Salty, I'll bring them down to you, or when you're in Larry Roper's area again, I'll make the two hour drive to meet you and bring them then.

thx -Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: