Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Formula for screen size / new member

Author Topic: Formula for screen size / new member
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 11:49 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Mike Craoro from Millbrae, CA here. I am new to the forum. I have been a memeber of the 16mm.com forum for a couple of years. I have been collecting 16mm films for about 10 years and have worked as a manager and projectionist in three theatres.

Is there some sort of formula for figuring out the proper screen size for an auditorium? Or does one simple "eye it" based on his or her own opinion?

Finally, is it my imagination or are the screens in today's Ultra modern multiplexes grossly oversized? There are times when I'm sitting in the last row and feel like I'm sitting up front.

Interested in the opinions of some of the forums members.

Thanks & look forward to becoming familiar with the different members.

Mike Craoro

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-27-2005 03:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Croaro
Finally, is it my imagination or are the screens in today's Ultra modern multiplexes grossly oversized?
...Welcome to Film-Tech! This is THE site of sites for almost all of any sort of projection/technical information database that could be found.

Going back to your question above? It's called "a movie going experience" - people LOVE to go to the movies and they want to be entertained and have the experience of their lives. If you go to a special domed venue, that dome screen really take the breath away to some folks.

In the mid 70's to early 90's, the mall cinema and those long narrow auditoriums commonly called "the shoebox auditorium", ramped "shotgun style" seating with dinky flat screens and mono sound at some of these places were the norm since, outside of "StarWars", movies weren't much to brag about and the attitude of going to a movie was just "going to a movie."

Now, especially with digital sound and how this sound can be so captivating to the audiences, why not make the picture presentation the same to where one will never forget what they've just seen?

Maybe, this will kinda tell the story on how what size one wants their screen to be big for their theatre's auditorium.

But, one BIG thing: Never have any auditorium dimensions that can divide itself in two - twice long as wide, or twice wide as long. This will cause you some massive sound problems, especially with stereo and surround speakers...

I play with 16mm as well. Have 3 B&H machines, plus have a friend who lives in 16mm heaven also.

good luck-Monte

[ 04-27-2005, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-27-2005 07:14 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do a search, you can find topics regarding screen sizes. In todays multiplexes, the wisdom is to 'wow' the customer by installing the largest screen that can fit. The SMPTE has data suggesting screen size based on the average person's viewing angle, auditourium size, what kind of seating, etc.

I often find that people say the screen is too big, (and sometimes they are correct) but what they usually mean is the image is of poor quality (shakey, grainy, poorly lit, etc.)

Welcom aboard [beer]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-27-2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard anyone say that an IMAX screen is too big, so John is right. If a screen is perceived as being too big, then it probably is because of other factors that are negatively impacting the experience.

And welcome to the the forum. Nice thing about 16mm, it is still FILM and not video. In the right setting, you can make 16mm very much a theatre experiece.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally believe that if you can help it the size of the auditorium should be derived from the size of the screen.
You want the full aspect ratio of the films being presented or as close to it as you can build. It really makes a difference.
I actually like our #3 auditorium. It's a little short but the perfect length for scope features. Looks absolutely amazing.
We do have a 20'x50' (approx) screen in our big house but the trouble is because of the magnification any amount of image instability can ruin the presentation.
A good print though...Such as our print of interpreter on Kodak 2383 was beautiful. Rock solid stability and vibrant colors.
Really makes you appreciate it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-27-2005 08:28 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good guideline is standard SMPTE 196M. The preferred viewing distance for screening rooms is between 2 and 4 times the height of the image. So for a 20 x 48 foot image, most of your "good" seats should be between 40 and 80 feet from the screen.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-28-2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Identify a point that is roughly 2/3 the distance toward the rear of the theatre on the centreline and then draw a 45-degree angle toward the screen so that the "V" is where the spectator's nose would be. The width of your scope image will be indicated by the lines where they intersect the wall at the front of the theatre.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: