Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » L.P. & Associates Xelamp ignition problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: L.P. & Associates Xelamp ignition problem
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 03:13 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got an L.P. Xelamp 4-7k lamphouse with an LTI 4500w lamp in it. Out of the blue the other day the ignitor would continue trying to strike the lamp even after the lamp struck.
That is, any time the switch on the back is set to "Auto" the ignitor is trying to strike the lamp, even once the lamp is running.
Manually striking works just fine.
I havn't been able to get the manual yet (computer's being evil) but I'm wondering if it's not the relay to the ignitor circuit?
Any suggestions?

[ Edited because original post was incorrect ]

[ 04-28-2005, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Dominic Espinosa ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-26-2005 04:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
That is, any time the switch on the back is set to "Auto" the ignitor is trying to strike the lamp, even once the lamp is running.
Manually striking works just fine.

Wonder if the "start" relay in your automation board/console has stuck closed causing the continual ignition even after bulb has ignited... Since you can operate fine in the manual mode, which bypasses the wiring from the 'start' relay on the automation board.

If your automation has relays of the same size and kind, unplug them and swap them around inside the automation and see if this does the trick.

I was almost guessing on the relay on the ignition board is sticking closed causing the constant striking even after the bulb has ignited, where it should break open to collapse the AC input of the igniter after the bulb has ignited, but it now points to the automation start circuit in this case.

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 04:35 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aha! And it's not uncommon on TA-10's I'm guessing?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-26-2005 04:56 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds more like a bad autostrike ckt board to me.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-26-2005 05:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I agree with this what Phil had to say.

Yes, if you have another Super lamphouse at your theatre, do a swap between lamphouses of this autostrike board and see if it follows over to the other lamphouse. This is the easiest way to find out on what you have. I've heard that autostrike boards for Strong lamphouses have their quirks at times.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its ALWAYS the relay that fails on that board. This is but one thing that Strong has proven themselves to be so Weak! Strong decided to use only one pole of the double pole relay. Its quite easy to parallel both sets of contacts by jumpering them on the back of the board. If you do this the relay will more than likely never fail. I've done this to well over 100 of those boards. Also, its an odd relay that you are not likely to find at a local electronics supplier......

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic said "Strong Super Lume-X lamphouse with an LTI 4500w lamp in it"
I hope not the super lumex is rated for 2500 watt max

Also as factory wired the auto manual switch doesn't control the autoignitor PCB but the control to the contactor in the rectifier

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 09:22 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 4500 watt bulb in a Super Lume-x? [Eek!]

I've done the jumpers on the igniter board several times myself. I also wonder why Strong never paralled that extra set of contacts on the relay. Of course they sell more igniter control boards this way though. [Roll Eyes]

I have found a few of these boards where the socket for the IC has gone bad and the IC has literally fallen out.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should clarify that the 110 to the ignitor is also th same as the feed to the recifier contactor ad the blower so I wonder how the system is wired if turning the switch off turns off the ignitor it should also turn off the fan as well

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-26-2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Layton
A 4500 watt bulb in a Super Lume-x?
...I was wondering about that one as well... - bet you can fry eggs on top of that lamphouse. Awful big bulb for a teeny lamphouse. ... and let alone getting the air around inside there to cool that monster since the lamphouse only has that side fan.

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting for the shock and disbelief about the lamp [Wink]
According to our chief the lamphouse was modified at some point to accomodate the larger lamp.
Indeed it gets hot as hell but it still survives. It's got a very powerful blower and a huge amount of air flow going out the stack.
Unfortunately, this is the only piece of Strong equipment in our theater. I'll have to start pulling stuff when I get in tomorrow and try to isolate the issue.
Since you guys mentioned the relay being an issue I'll check that first and keep you posted.
Thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2005 08:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that lamp blows it will be more like "Shock and Awe" all over again.

Actually I hope that your tech took into consideration that he is blocking about `15% more light with that larger diameter bulb... especially if its an Osram. We all know that Osram will never give you any warranty claim on that unit [Big Grin] .

As for the relay... You're more likely to find it a melted glob on the bottom of the lamphouse.

Mark

Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-26-2005 09:48 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit off topic, but paralleling contacts on a relay to increase it's current handling is not good practice. The single contact should be rated for the full current. Usually, one set connects before the other, cooks, and then the cycle is repeated with the next set. Although I acknowledge that if the relay lasted even a short time longer with paralleling contacts, it's better than with only one set.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-26-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom, Dom, Dom... I thought you knew your equipment! [Razz]

Relax, guys... There is no Super Lume-X with a 4500W lamp in it [Eek!] .

The lamphouse in question is a 4-7K L.P. & Associates 'Xelamp'with an Irem rectifier.

-

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-27-2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I sure hope you are referring to the same lamphouse! And he the hell hasn't been wasting our time running us around in circles cuz he doesn't know WTF he's talking about and really some dumbass that SHOULD have called a qualified tech in the 1st place?

(BTW: How's that for a run-on sentence?) [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: