Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra*Stereo JS 105-195

Author Topic: Ultra*Stereo JS 105-195
Matt Manalis
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2005 10:04 PM      Profile for Matt Manalis   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Manalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi i am in the process of buying a Ultra*Stereo JS 105-195 i was just wandering how good they are??? and if any one had a instuction manual for these processors thanks

[ 04-24-2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-24-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that they are an early version of the later model JS-200 series processor . If it has 6-channel inputs on the backplane, it can be converted to a JSX1000 by adding cards, just as with the JS-200.

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-25-2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleieve that is the first serries of JS processors The surround EQ card is to the left of the format card
It has only one NR slot and doesn't support digital inputs gracefully
To do SR one needs to swap the SR card

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2005 07:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
If it has 6-channel inputs on the backplane, it can be converted to a JSX1000 by adding cards, just as with the JS-200.

I would keep in mind that USL has discontinued supplying many cards as new for it. Since the release of their new digital processor they are only repairing some of the cards. Certain cards like the EQ cards are still available new. So converting it to a JSX-1000 might not be possible. Also repairing them over the next 20 years will probably also become less possible as time goes on.
My feeling on them has always been they they are well engineered but not well executed and there is just not the high quality parts in them that you'd find in a Dolby or Panastereo unit. But when new you were still paying a fairly high price tag. With your location I would go with the Panastereo since they are considerably less $$ than they are here in the U.S. nd repairs will not be any problem at all.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-25-2005 09:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the issue of spares The only failures I have experinced with USL processors have been CMOS switching/logic chips and the relays
The only part that has been discontinued is the VCA chip used in the NR card the Matrix card and the fader and I have never had one of them fail

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 09:41 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put in one of these units about 4 years ago. Still running with no problems.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-25-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I would keep in mind that USL has discontinued supplying many cards as new for it.
However, you're not buying a new processor anyway. USL has shelves and shelves of used and repaired cards at their warehouse.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 105-195 are indeed the processors that were made between the 5/95 and 105/295. The big difference with the 200 series is the lack of 6-channel capability and SR. A change in backplane and the format card turns a 100 series into a 200 series (And I think the format card will still work from the 100 series).

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JS-105/195 series did come after the 5/95 series and before the JS-200 series. USL, Inc. will continue to service all versions of processors we have made in the past. We actually service CS-series which were manufactured in the early 1980's. If you have any question please feel free to ask here or e-mail me at clint@uslinc.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
However, you're not buying a new processor anyway. USL has shelves and shelves of used and repaired cards at their warehouse.

Indeed they do but they will not offer all of them for sale any longer. Not available normally now are the format cards, NR cards, and matrix card. Any boardss that utilized the now obsolete SSL integrated circuits are out of production and those cards are now only repairable. This is what I was told buy USL.

This will make upgrades of existing processors to say SR, or going from a 4 chan to a 6 chan pretty difficult to accomplish.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-25-2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SR is no big deal...just get a Pana SR-35...better unit than the USL SR anyway.

The format card is another thing...the JFM-20 is pretty much essential for digital systems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2005 07:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
SR is no big deal...just get a Pana SR-35...better unit than the USL SR anyway.

Donno, I would have a hard time placing something so good on something so [Confused] ... seems so out of balance to me although you're right about it being the only REAL choice. The thing is then you have an SR adaptor kicking around when you do install a new processor. when The price tag of the Pana SR adaptor also far out weighs the value of the JS to a huge extent. New processor would be the better route.

Our problems with JS's seem to come in droves like the locusts and then we don't see any for a while and then it starts over again..... cyclical for some reason....

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-26-2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I recall the Pana SR35 being on the very low-cost side of things.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what configuration you're buying the JS for, as well. If you're just doing Center/Surround, it's a good unit; if you want more, a CP50 would be my choice.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-27-2005 08:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I recall the Pana SR35 being on the very low-cost side of things.
I seem to remember it being around a grand. Thats at least double what a whole JS is worth.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: