Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Omnex rectifier question

Author Topic: Omnex rectifier question
David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have an electronic copy of the tapping diagram for this thing - or alternatively can anyone tell me the apping setting for a 900W lamp (I assume this needs to be 55A or so)?

Thanks

David

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-24-2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
55A is a bit high for a 900W lamp; 45A would be more like it.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2005 01:20 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David

I hope this helps

You should have (I think) the red wire on 0 and the brown on perhaps 1

Cheers

OMNEX RECTIFIER

Wire 1 0 Low tappings
Wire 2
1 40A
1A 40A
2 45A
3 50A
4 55A
4A 55A
5 60A

Wire 1 6 HIGH TAPPINGS
Wire 2
1 55A
1A 60A
2 65A
3 70A
4 76A
4A 80A

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 04:02 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much guys. I agree about 55 seeming a bit high BTW - 45 was my original intention but I was then advised by someone else that 55 was more like it. Seemed a bit high to me too. 45 it is!

That's exactrly the info I needed Peter - thanks...my bit of paper with the tappings on went walkies it seems.

David

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 06:06 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again David -

A word of warning - these rectifiers are not bad but they need 10 mins to settle down - set the current and strike the lamp and wait ! Otherwise it waits till you have the last screw on till it changes ..

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter that's usually a sign that the capacitors are going soft. Like any high-reactance type power supply they do need a short time to stabilise (probably to do with the bulb and the transformer warming up), but it shouldn't need anything like 10 minutes, 2-3 is right.

The circuitry is very similar to the single phase Orcon rectifier (was it FXPS?, at any rate the one found in the bottom of Optimax consoles, and similar to that found in CFS consoles), and very similar to the single phase unit now made by Strong.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 10:36 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pete

Good to hear that you are alive ! Granted, I quite like the OMNEX rectifiers - with the demise of T and R they are the only decent single phase option other than switchers. We have found current fluctuations even from new however this is not a real problem - more so the number of bloody screws and the flimsy case that you need to deal with to adjust these.

How's Scotland ? I await some public body anouncing the conversion of all cinemas there to Digital, of course in a new proprietary format incompatible with Ireland, the UK and Hollywood..

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The case is a constant bone of contemption, never ceases to amaze me how it manages to distort when it's inanimate on the floor!

S'funny, it's all gone quiet in Ireland, I'm back across there in a couple of weeks, was asking how the conversions were going, expecting to arrive in a land of DLPs... The tech manager of the site I'm heading to just laughed...

Kevin Orman
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 12:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Orman   Email Kevin Orman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys!
Well, it always seems to take about half an hour before the final operating current is reached - it always drops once the lamp and/or power supply is warm. We have found this to apply with both switched-mode power supplies and also to our T&R rectifier. Seems to drop much more with the electronic one though meaning that if you want to end up with a 'warm' operating current of say 60amps then this will need to run at 65-68 amps on a cold lamp.
Are the OMNEX ones made on a similar pattern to the old T&R's or completely different design?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Completely different design Kevin, the T & R uses some kind of moving core in the transformer to control the current, similar to the 3 phase IREM. The single phase Omnex rectifier id designed and manufactured by ourselves, although the circuitry is very similar, but not identical, to the Orcon/Strong/CFS. It uses a multi tapped transformer, you select whichever tap to give you the current you require. We recomend using them to power up to 1600w bulbs, but in reality you can probably power a 2kW at 75 amps.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: